Author Topic: Bug smears  (Read 4349 times)

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
Bug smears
« on: 01 July 2018, 10:08 »
I have read that bug smears contain acid.
If so does anyone know just how damaging bug smears are to the lacquer/paintwork and how long before they do permanent damage?

Also is there a safe way to remove them when out on the road or end of a journey without access to snowfoam?

Some bugs Ive been hitting have left 6" smears down the windscreen!

Help  :cry:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Bug smears
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2018, 16:59 »
I have read that bug smears contain acid.
If so does anyone know just how damaging bug smears are to the lacquer/paintwork and how long before they do permanent damage?

Also is there a safe way to remove them when out on the road or end of a journey without access to snowfoam?

Some bugs Ive been hitting have left 6" smears down the windscreen!

Help  :cry:

Yes, unfortunately bug splat can etch clearcoat quite quickly. 

If on the road, carry some basics in the boot.  Some water and a microfibre you can soak in the water is better than nothing.  Wet wipes and/or a bottle of quick detailer good to have to hand.  Always saturate the cloth and lay it over the offending splat and let it soften until it can gently be wiped away.

For after a journey, a pressure wash rinse with or without snow foam should bring the worst off until a proper wash.  But if that’s all you’re doing, be careful drying as there’ll be dirt still on the paint which could get rubbed in marring the paint.  Touchless washing/rinsing only really an option if you have soft water, or use DI filtered water, or have an air blower to dry. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2018, 09:34 »
Thank you Rebecca.
I used the soft wetted tissue method on bird droppings but never ealised the bugs would mark the paintwork so much.

Your reply raises couple of questions;

What 'quick detailer' you would advise?
Are all detailers compatible?
What process would you advise to remove the bug etching?

I am considering have the whole of the front end wrapped in PPF but extensive research reveals even that material can be damaged by bug splats.

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 03 July 2018, 12:44 »
Thank you Rebecca.
I used the soft wetted tissue method on bird droppings but never ealised the bugs would mark the paintwork so much.

Your reply raises couple of questions;

What 'quick detailer' you would advise?
Are all detailers compatible?
What process would you advise to remove the bug etching?

I am considering have the whole of the front end wrapped in PPF but extensive research reveals even that material can be damaged by bug splats.

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Hi Mike,

Quick detailers are not all equal but their main function in removal of bird poo is lubrication of the surface and moistening of the offending poo, so that it is easier to remove with as little risk to the paint a possible, though once removed if it’s etched the damage is done, but no need to further marr the paint removing it.
So the QD is for that purpose in this case, so lots will do that job, but you might as well get one that is easy to use and easy to buff off. 

My absolute favourite is Chemical Guys Speed Wipe.  Really excellent QD and so easy to use and buff off leaving no residue unlike some QDs do.

My second favourite is Bouncers Done & Dusted for similar reasons. 
Both are really great QDs.

To remove the etching you’ll need to polish to remove a few microns of damaged clearcoat. If you have a DA then this will take no time at all using a finishing polish on a finishing pad, just a few passes over the area will get rid of it. If no DA, then same but by hand using finishing polish on a fine foam pad. It’ll take a bit more effort though but should be doable.

I’m not a fan or user of PPF so can’t offer any advice on that.   
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 03 July 2018, 16:29 »
Hi Rebecca,
Am I right in thinking your mention of a DA refers to a dual action machine polisher?

If YES the answer is no.

Back to Envy me thinks.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 03 July 2018, 19:22 »
Hi Rebecca,
Am I right in thinking your mention of a DA refers to a dual action machine polisher?

If YES the answer is no.

Back to Envy me thinks.

Yes Mike.  A dual action polisher.  But bug etching usually can be hand polished though it might need a bit of elbow grease and a sustained effort.  I’ve done it by hand a few times myself.
« Last Edit: 03 July 2018, 19:26 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2018, 09:49 »
Thank you Rebecca.
Last night I spent an hour or so researching nano/ceramic coatings, the online indications are that such coatings can provide 4-8years protection so Im now thinking I would be better staying with the coating applied when the car was new and forgetting the PPF altogether.

Your posts and sound advice have started to sway me towards buying the kit and doing future cleaning myself.
Never let it be said I am to old to change!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2018, 12:58 »
Thank you Rebecca.
Last night I spent an hour or so researching nano/ceramic coatings, the online indications are that such coatings can provide 4-8years protection so Im now thinking I would be better staying with the coating applied when the car was new and forgetting the PPF altogether.

Your posts and sound advice have started to sway me towards buying the kit and doing future cleaning myself.

Mike, just be aware that ceramic coating does not prevent acid etching at all.  Obviously it has many protective benefits but protection from etching is not one of them.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2018, 09:52 »
Thank you Rebecca.

Mike, just be aware that ceramic coating does not prevent acid etching at all.  Obviously it has many protective benefits but protection from etching is not one of them.

Thank you Rebecca.

To review:-
Indications from all leading manufacturers are that Paint Protection Film will not prevent bug acid etching the film.
Even when applied from new Ceramic Coating will not prevent bug acid etching the paintwork
Solution - remove the bug splats as soon as possible.

As someone who hates cleaning my cars I need to learn how to clean the splats correctly.
Or
Learn how to clean the whole car  - and even a blind man can see this is the obvious solution!

Therefore I have joined Detailing World (No laughing in the back row) and am presently compiling my shopping list!

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 06 July 2018, 10:32 »
Oh dear Mike. You have just stepped onto a very slippery slope.  :grin:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.