Author Topic: Full Electric eGolf...  (Read 3327 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Full Electric eGolf...
« on: 30 October 2018, 21:37 »
Just read this review - https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/21882/volkswagen-e-golf-review-does-the-electric-golf-have-electric-performance?_mout=1&utm_campaign=evo_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Must admit, not been following the full electrics for VW. But really, this seems like a serious waste of money and resources to even build it?

100 mile real world range?? 0-60 in 9.6 secs. 1615kgs. £32k for the base model. The Tesla3 isn't going to be hugely more expensive than that and I'm sure will get to 60 faster going backwards than this Golf.

As the article suggests, the issue is fitting a car designed for combustion with all electric power as opposed to designing an electric car from the ground up as Tesla does.

Main stream manufacturers are going to have try harder than this if they want to tempt people to go green.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Full Electric eGolf...
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2018, 23:21 »
I thought that had been out for a while.... or did it get put back?

They've all got someway to go before I'd consider one though. Its too early for it IMHO and the lack of charging points needs fixing before you see me try it too.

I'd imagine the charging points will need to be something different by then too to support much faster charging.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2018, 07:15 »
One thing over the Tesla will be the fit and finish. Every Tesla I've seen looks like it's been put together by Stevie Wonder. Once mainstream manufacturers start building these no one will even look at Tesla.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2018, 07:59 »
One thing over the Tesla will be the fit and finish. Every Tesla I've seen looks like it's been put together by Stevie Wonder. Once mainstream manufacturers start building these no one will even look at Tesla.

"Made in America" I think covers it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2018, 08:18 »
I looked at the Tesla 3 briefly but it's looking like it will retail for $80,000. Double what it was supposed to originally.
I'm sure we'll all end up with electric cars one day but it is still too early for me. Electric cars are too expensive.

Offline Mustabuster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2018, 13:24 »
They also depreciate quite heavily. I suspect that 2nd hand buyers are put off by potential battery replacement issues in the future.
Jan '17: Golf mk7 GTI PP
5 dr, DSG, Carbon Grey, 19" Santiago wheels.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2018, 13:57 »
Depreciation in this tech is steep. Partly because of the battery replacement fear, partly because the tech is rapidly changing at this stage and the future mass market versions are not clear yet.

I think a lot will change before we get to a truly usable design.

If you buy an E-Golf with its 100 mile range and in 5 years time every electric vehicle does 250 miles, who would buy your E-Golf? Additionally if charging becomes possible in 3 hours, your E-Golf will be sh1t too.

Its advancing far quicker than petrol engine cars do at the moment - probably more akin to the early days of cars.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2018, 09:06 »
I looked at the Tesla 3 briefly but it's looking like it will retail for $80,000. Double what it was supposed to originally.
I'm sure we'll all end up with electric cars one day but it is still too early for me. Electric cars are too expensive.

Not sure where you've got that from? Looking at around £40k for UK but that will be base model. A C Class or 3 Series can quite easily be £40k these days.

Electric cars are't tooexpensive, they are just more expensive due to the technology.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2018, 09:16 »
I was talking to someone with a Nissan Leaf a little while ago and they were saying that an electric car has far less servicing costs than a petrol one. No oil changes, no filter changes, no exhaust to rot... I hadn't really thought of this until they said it.

Quite probably the tyres last longer too - well, longer than us performance dino burners here get through them anyway... plus they are all skinny tyres not low profile wide ones like we use.

It *might* offset the increased price over say 5 years you know... assuming the battery replacement thing doesn't happen and the depreciation.... oh I don't know!

Sounds like a finance question for MonkeyHanger :D

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2018, 09:21 »
Nope the tyres don't last longer. We have a golf GTE in my company and it eats tyres due to the extra weight. They aren't skinny either just a similar size to a GTD or GTI.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias