Author Topic: I know this is a GTI forum but...  (Read 5422 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
I know this is a GTI forum but...
« on: 29 October 2018, 11:35 »
Hi guys,

I know this is a gti forum and I currently have an Audi, but while I wait for Vw to drag their heels on the TCR I went to testdrive the i30N. Hilarious car. Very fun to drive and a great exhaust note.

However, the finance quote. Car discounted to £26k, 3k in and a monthly of ..... £442!!!  :laugh:

I actually laughed out loud.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: I know this is a GTI forum but...
« Reply #1 on: 29 October 2018, 14:39 »
Yes that is the trouble with some other cars that you just kinda forget after shopping VW...

The GT86 was the same when I looked at it.

You need a different mindset with a rapid fall in residuals... buy nearly new never new.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2018, 20:23 »
Hi guys,

I know this is a gti forum and I currently have an Audi, but while I wait for Vw to drag their heels on the TCR I went to testdrive the i30N. Hilarious car. Very fun to drive and a great exhaust note.

However, the finance quote. Car discounted to £26k, 3k in and a monthly of ..... £442!!!  :laugh:

I actually laughed out loud.

What was the final payment?

Sometimes wonder if the people working out residual values go conservative when a car manufacturer enters a new market segment.
We bought a new Skoda Yeti in 2010 and the 36 month final payment based on 36K miles was £7.8K. We duly paid it at the end of the term and then sold it privately straight away for £15.7K (It was only £20K new!).
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2018, 23:17 »
The gfv was £11k after 48 months. I totally agree with the new car to market. They have no history which makes it difficult to value.

Wouldn’t have expected it to be so high though. Makes you wary even as a cash purchase tbh.

As I said, it’s a shame as the car is great. V v firm ride though.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Tethias

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2018, 17:26 »
i test drove one of the first ones in the UK when they were released in January - Great car, loads of fun but yeah the price was/is insane. I don't think sales have been great, ive only seen 1 on the road since then but they are still refusing to do dealer deposit contributions etc.

Initial figures on the one i test drove at around £470 a month on PCP, absolutely insane...

A shame as it was so fun to drive, maybe in a few years time when im looking to change my GTI and prices have dropped and Hyundai has had a while to develop and fix any issues with the i30n!

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2018, 19:03 »
£470pm! Wow. The local dealer told me they’d sold 1. Yep ONE.

Apparently it’s nothing about the finance, it’s badge snobbery that’s hurting sales.  :whistle:

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2018, 21:16 »
Saw one the other day in that duck egg blue colour, looked really good to be fair..... I wouldn't buy one though but that's just my taste. Give it a few years and they may well tempt me if the car is fast and at a good price point. Has to be nice inside too, main reason I didn't get a Cupra 4drive
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2018, 21:31 »
Hyundai and Kia are on the up. 5 or 7 year warranty obviously far better than what VW offer, and it will probably be more reliable than VW too. Interior not quite as nice as VW though.

Would I have one? Well, in the future maybe. But not quite yet, and not at that price.
7.5 GTD

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 30 October 2018, 21:48 »
Apart from the finance, it was the ride quality that put me off. V firm indeed. The car was surprisingly good. The interior was ok, just. You could tell that the steering wheel wasn’t actually leather but at least Hyundai say it’s artificial from the off.

The blue is really nice in the metal. V unusual and certainly got lots of attention.

I’d be interested if it wasn’t such an unknown quantity residual wise. All I know is that my friend had a Santa Fe and she had more equity than my S3 will have!

Personally, I’ll wait for any TCR developments but keep looking around. I’m developing a list of possibilities!

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 30 October 2018, 21:53 »
Residues may well stay strong if there aren't loads about. But it's a big gamble. Would love a drive in one. Probably wouldn't have one on my drive though as guessing it perhaps doesn't do 'all round' as good as the GTI does.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey