Author Topic: Tyre pressure warning  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
Re: Tyre pressure warning
« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2018, 23:13 »
All tyres are checked weekly and system reset accordingly. It just shows loss of pressure detected but on the golf it doesn't tell you which tyre as it points from the abs system. Just wondering if it's because of the front tyres being nearly at end of life. Haven't had any issues at all in nearly two years of ownership.

Yes it does, all mk7's do as they all use the ABS sensors to monitor pressure, if it just said loss of pressure detected then chances are it was the weather air pressure that set it off. Otherwise it would tell you for example Left Front and show a picture with the tyre highlighted on the screen.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2018, 23:21 »
I've had two of these ping in four days and neither time did it tell me which tyre so maybe not all mk7s are the same. Probably the same as some tell you when the battery is low in your key fob and some don't. Mine appears to be the latter.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 25 October 2018, 09:57 »
Mine did it the other day - I'd been away for a few days and when I came back its pinging at me about tyre pressures - not specific to a wheel.

Checked them all and they were all slightly down by 2-3 PSI all round.

That's probably air temp change - last time I did them it was 25C. When it pinged it was 10C and the tyres were cold too.

I've seen that before though, once when I drove into a summer hailstorm and the temp dropped rapidly.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 25 October 2018, 10:18 »
If all tyres are below what was set originally then the system wouldn't pick anything up if all 4 had reduced by the same amount?
Rechecked mine this morning and all four were below the 36psi that was set on Saturday but not one was any different to another. Set again so will see what happens. Just an aside couldn't get in the car this morning as the battery had finally given up on my fob and it didn't give any warning at all yesterday on the dash.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 26 October 2018, 08:52 »
The ABS sensors on these MQB platform at more sensitive that previous versions.

Whe you press the TPMS button/screen to reste, it can take up to 1hr of driving for the ECU to gather enough data about the special "harmonics" of each wheel...not just the rotation, but teh side to side wobble, etc....

Basically even if you remove the wheel & replace you need to reset, unless you replace in exact position on hub with bolts in exact holes..

One of the VW self study guide goes into detail on the systems..

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 26 October 2018, 15:11 »
I’ve found with my mk7’s they like to throw a flat tyre warning just as I settle into the first bit of decent speed on a road run, usually on the first bit of motorway or dual carriageway where there’s nowhere to pull over. Without fail, every time it’s because there’s luggage in the boot despite pressures being reset along with the in car menu being reset too. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 26 October 2018, 16:22 »
To be fair I haven't had any issues at all until this past week. I'm just putting it down to the original tyres being so worn.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 29 October 2018, 09:04 »
Just an update, had the warning ping up again this morning driving to work but it's actually said which wheel (front right in this case). I can't see any offending nail, screw etc so thinking it's the freezing temperatures this morning (0.5°c in my neck of the woods).

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 29 October 2018, 09:23 »
I had the warning come on twice on my first Mk7.5, didn't say which tyre and happened on the M1 in torrential rain so had to stop and check them all....   :huh:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 29 October 2018, 23:11 »
Have a mahoosive screw through the inner tread block at its thickest part so bit the bullet and ordered four Michelin ps 4. Delivered on Wednesday hopefully fitted later this week. Just need to keep blowing the tyre up every morning and drive carefully  :whistle: