Author Topic: Summer Tyres for the GTI  (Read 48499 times)

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Re: Summer Tyres for the GTI
« Reply #30 on: 18 March 2011, 09:18 »
I see that Andy.
The pictures I took were of 50 profile rubber (tyres are 215/50 ZR17) on the C-Max and the Contis on our C class are 40 profile. The higher aspect ratios seem to have better rim protection. This is probably because, and I am guessing, there is not enough sidewall to accomodate this without affecting the tyre performance especially when a tyre wall squirms with hard cornering forces.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2011, 14:03 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #31 on: 18 March 2011, 09:19 »
Rim protection will only do so much, you can still catch the alloy on a high curb if your not carefull.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 18 March 2011, 16:00 »
Rim protection will only do so much, you can still catch the alloy on a high curb if your not carefull.

If you're running 19s you can catch your alloy on a very low kerb whilst being careful. That was me 3 weeks ago and I wasn't even parking (white van man avoidance)  :cry:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 21 March 2011, 21:33 »
I was going to wait till April to fit summer tyres, but it's been such nice weather, temperature up to 14oC today, I decided just to go for it.  Getting them changed tomorrow.

We'll probably get 2 feet of snow by the weekend....

Rolfe.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 21 March 2011, 22:28 »
I think you'll be snow free, Rolfe.

FYI all: I've updated my original post.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 25 March 2011, 18:07 »
2011 Autobild Max Performance Summer Tyre Test for 225/40 R18 tyres:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2011-Autobild-Max-Performance-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

They have not reviewed the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres but have the older ones.

Still, it's an interesting read.  :smiley:

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #36 on: 26 March 2011, 21:07 »
The F1s only scored a 5 on noise though? The same as the Bridgestones - My next set will be ones with good all round ability but including better road noise so its less intrusive

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 26 March 2011, 21:14 »
The F1s only scored a 5 on noise though? The same as the Bridgestones - My next set will be ones with good all round ability but including better road noise so its less intrusive

They are the old F1 tyres and not the NEW Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres, dearest Adrian!
Read the review in the Original Post. :wink:

Chug, chug! :grin:

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 27 March 2011, 03:35 »
Hi guys
Quick question on Tyres.
I currently have the Continental Sport Contact 2 225/40 R18 92Y tyres on my Gti, but need to replace the front two.
I've seen the Sport Contact 3s at Kwik-fit for £135 fitted. Does this sound like a good deal?
Also, it says they're "Homologated for fitment to certain Mercedes cars." Does this mean they're only for Mercedes car or are they suitable for me?
Also, they say they'll charge extra for nitrogen refill and wheel alignment. Would I need these done at the same time?
Thanks
Read this:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=185782.0
A bit of patience needed. :smiley:
Thanks
Already read that thread, but did see that they're a bit cheaper at tyre traders with a mobile fitting which is probably better for me
How about my other questions? :rolleyes: :grin:

Pity the thread is hidden away now and difficult to access!  :sad:
Why not go for another make for the front like the Goodyear Eagle FI Asymmetric 2 tyres which have just been released and have had a good response from the press. Tyre Traders seem to be the cheapest. Unfortunately, they are temporarily out of stock at present.
Continental are bringing out a raft of new tyres. But when, is anyone's guess. Don't bother with the Conti 2 tyres as they are an old design, and the 3 is about to be replaced.The Conti 3s that you are talking about are MO labelled, which are Mercedes approved tyres. We've got these on our C Class. Your Golf could also wear them. But I'd go for the Goodyears instead.
All the best.  :smiley:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #39 on: 27 March 2011, 10:43 »
I moved it here as its INFO, so should be in the info section :wink:
The main forum is just getting stupid with stickys and a pain to load on a phone or dial up for example.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.