Author Topic: homemade mk1 golf caddy (4motion 4wd /holset hx40 ,,turbo resto,56k warning  (Read 129920 times)

Offline adaptorman

• Here all the time
well thats others side mounted lol

another rear damper mount made and welded in place

and its finaly sat on its own 4 wheels ,with indepent suspention,,
little dark but u can roughly see

next step ill make a few rear axle stengthing bars ,and start on some bodywork welding lol ,,,it would have easyer finding a tidyer caddy ,but have to say it will be solid when i get these bits sorted
a little more done this after hopeing to have a full day it 2moz,,,
just the anti rool bar to sort and a driveshaft and thats the rear axle fitted done for the time been ..
added a few bars and welded a few things up

added a couple of strengthers

and thought ive just time to sort that rear rottern arch out ,

will look spot on once ground up and painted,,

also im a little un happy ,as i can gain a good 2inch lower now ,but because of the strengh of the mk4 rear springs ive fitted it wont sit as low as it should ,,,so its either thow some lowering springs on and adapt these buggers to the rear ,,nice air shockers lol ,adjustable ride right then,

nothing done 2day due to wheather so ive gone for more airflow so went and got this baby ,,,first my old one showing on the left and new one on the right

a nice holset hx40w with 4inch in and 4inch out lol ,,,,,

yes its big ,may take a bit of fitting thow lol ,,,

so a trail fit is needed....these buggars will thow out 44psi ,,my aim is anything or 15psi to 25psi which is 500bhp on these engines

i reckon i can make somert for it to work lol

finished the drive shafts of 2day ,,,
/that them done and fitted
and started on makeing a pulse manifold to help spool my big turbo up ,

right made a hour free night so made a collector ,,and let me tell ya ,trying make 6 outlets into a t3 flange ...stressfull lol as usely t3 are made for 4 outlets,but i like to prove they can be fitted lol

bingo thats that bit sorted ,and i have to use a 44mm wastegat too as u can see the larger pipe

IMG]http://i33.tinypic.com/2itllbp.jpg[/IMG]

just the other half to make now

Offline adaptorman

• Here all the time

its close lol but clears

there will be more to aome at some point lol
so this will have to do

again geuss work ,but it fits a treat
i may just shortern the row of straight pipes down a inch ,,

then trail fit on the caddy

not bad for a first attempt lol
missed too pics lol
as u can see not too mutch room left

and a nice 4inch outlet

sleeper affect ,,well trying at the mo lol
right decided to shortern it a inch for rear clearance  so i can add the external wastegate

then welded it up

its a bit close now lol

im a littleworried as the hot side is close the rocker cover ,but ,its not too inportant at mo

turbos a little close but missed with the bonet shut..

oil feed fitted,need to sort return ,which will be fun

going to fit the extanalwastegate pipe just enoegh roomi reckon

fitted driveshafts

small update,,external wastegate fitted

Offline adaptorman

• Here all the time
and a few more updates 2day
thats the manifold sorted at last

then made a oil return have to say what a little twit that was lol,due to havein to make it fit thew the bendy pipes

then thought might as well sort the steering rack ,and make some brackets

shes close but clears nicely ,and has a good 10mm underneath

thats the rack nearly sorted just have to make another bracket and trim the inner wing holes more a little more movement ,
right we have some seats and harniss ,to nicely hold me in place lol

thought might as well fit antiator and trail fit a few engine bits,bingo things seem to fit too

and thats 2days progress ended ,may have a few more after ive sorted a few other things out ,,,
small update
just added a small suport for the engine as the old one looked untidy so made another

and added a homemade suport to save engine rock

and decided to make more clearance for the steering rack in the end lol

haveing a tad of stress with steeering at mo ,lol,i will sort it ,
due to useing mk3 vr6 hubs and moveing the steering rack ,things arnt quite right yet ,but,,,,i will sort it ,,ill not be beatrn with it ,,lol

so had to fit more coilover springs ,

and a few more bits of welding to be sorted lol
right need advise on what radiator you guys use on a mk4 24 engine for cooling,as i could sqeeze the 4motion one in with lots of cross member chopping so thought id ask first

sorted the clutch piping and slave too

small updates,thermostat houseing fitted,as this had to be changed ,as the std one wouldnt let me select 5th/6th gear

the a quick repair on the rear quarter pannel

couple more this after

removed and replaced bolts ,a buggar to nip up

fitted some wireing started etc

just coverd a few bits in primer to save rust

Offline adaptorman

• Here all the time
more welding bits lol
be sound with a tad of filler to re shape the arch

seem welded rear box section ,,

inner sills sorted

engine mounts sorted

bit of spray to save rust coming thew

ill sort the wireing loom out 2night in the house its a little warmer lol
just started on the wireing as i thought be better striping the lot ,then wire it were i need it to go ,on the lump ,bought a few extra bits/bobs of wireing/beeding/box of earth clips etc ,

just a quicky ,removed the old leaf spring hangers and boxed it up ,also adds a little more strengh ..

decied 2day as i want power steering on my caddy and due to moveing/riseing the steering rack ,as the propshaft was in the way ,,thought chuff ill rip the old vw steering coloum out and fit a electric power steering with varible steering ,,,bit of modifying should work a treat ,,as lots of vauxhall fit vw,,

first ripped the old coloum out and under tray so u can see the old bolt holes

then made some quick brackets so i can mount in the same oringle bolts holes saves chopping the dash frame to bits

roughly how that bit looks

then as mine was and adjustable coloum had to weld a coloum in place so i can use the mk1 cowling and switchers

then bolted the lot up in place

everything fits nicely ,

regards the u joint i split them and simply changed the ends so they clamp up nicely from the rack to the coloum ,and the steering wheel ,i cut it off ,put both parts on the lathe and stick welded it and drilled and peged it ,,,
only thing the under tray i had to nip a bit out for it to fit ,,,

thats the steering sorted ,,
just made a small start on the engine loom today ,sorted all the wires out and which pins are needed,sorted the injector plugs  to fit nicely and wired the wasted spark idea up

and  marked all the rest up too ,#

i want to try to wire the engine up to get it runing for christmass
a few parts arrived .ie antiroll bar ,std single grill ,and as I were wireing things up ill have to finish the short runner,and build the turbo up to get the wiring lenghs in the right place ,so we should have a few updates soon,

a couple of updates managed to get a thottle body

then started on the shorter runer intake

Offline adaptorman

• Here all the time
small update had to modify the thottle body a bit as it was hitting the bonnet lol

bolted short runner up and checked revs ,,have to say works a treat

nicely missis the alti too ,,

started on some engine wireing ,loom is coupled up ,not tidy as i want to make sure its wired right ,when i set the ecu up

so engines in wireing will be trail sorted, oils in ,steerings sorted ,just need to get some pressure in the feul rail and see what haperns had it cranking over too ,and it have decent oil presure due to it shooting out of the pipe for the turbo feed,,,:D
couple more but was getting a bit dark .just shows things built up at mo ,,

ill add wideband for the start up and check a few other bits ,and see if i can get a spark/feul and injectors thowing some fuel in the engine,,

small update  due to been bisy with other things ,
as i was going to use the v6 vectra coil pack which would have donre the job ,but soon as my boost comes in it would blow the spark out ,so yet again ,had to modify a coilpack with a better ohm output ,then i found the buggar is a lot wider bigger then the other had to make another adaptorplate for it to mount ,so here it is

looks like it was meant to be there ,lol,
just got to pick some ht ends up ,and thats the engine wireing coupled up ,ready for the feul and tank next ,,,somert else ill have to make thing is its were to put it,,think ill have to make one under neath so more steel is needed lol
i just have a go ,,,ought fits if needed lol, gunna attempt a start up once ive plumed a temory feul pump up
little update before i attrempt to get it runing ....
coilpack modifyed

its getting a bit tight in there

and may get the header and washer bottle in too ,with a little mod
when the exhaust manifold and downpipe are heat wrapped to save melting things,

seems to be coming together if nothing else lol

Offline adaptorman

• Here all the time
heres a trail engine start with no map sensor,pipe fitted/guessed required fuel settings/no wideband band/loose intake manifold/gussed low inpedance injector settings/runing on redeyes msq
View My Video
View My Video

ive found my horried ecu fault

the problem they have blown accros  heres a pic ,thing is why has this happernd,
and if i resolder it may either cause more damage or blow again

if in doubt get a old ecu add some bits and re wire ,were back on 6 lol
and a crapy vid dont laugh at my exhaust
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=epog9x&s=5

theres loads tbh ,but i just want something i can understand ,,as some can be a night mare to setup and tune ,,
ive bin a bit bisy over chrimbo ,but not with the caddy ,with a garge not mutch ,but at least ill have some were to work on it ,whats a bit warmer i reckon ,and just made my own electric door too lmao ,heres a vide ,evern works of the remote control ,,
View My Video
not mutch to add ,but as i had a hour free thought id re make a inlet flange ,with some nice 12mm steel ,ill make sure this seales ,unlike the other flimy flange

sorted the other flange ,next job start on the down pipe

then get a hole thew the rain tray

rough idea how it will fit

Offline adaptorman

• Here all the time
found this so it will have to do

i thought that ,but would have needing chopping ,so thought chuff i cut that one above ,made a 76mm baff mesh made too rings and added sound deading and welded it up done done ,as chuffing companys are simplely rips offs

small update started on the downpipe

then made the angles needed

checked to make sure it will clear the inner wing

then added the side pipe ,ok for a first attempt lol

some nice heat wrap on the go and aheat sheild made and poped on ,that will be another job done
bit of an update and also a bit more stress lol
as i had a wheel alginment and track issuise from trying to use vr6 hubs on to a mk1 to run 5 x 100 as i also really need the biggar cv joints ,
so i tryed to reeem the hubs out to fit the mk3 bearings and poped the 5 stud hubs in,as u can see the bigger mk4 driveshafts

then fitted the pollybushed std mk1 arms

then realised that im still knackerd lol ,as now i carnt make any calipar adaptors as the bolt hole thinkness are the same width and depth ,,blooody hell if its not one thing its another ,as i dont want to fit the 288 vr6 discs etc as they arnt great stopping power at fast slow down speeds after a few runs ,,

Offline adaptorman

• Here all the time
after a bit of lathe work and adapting a plate i had to do them this way so i could get the full use of the pads on the discs ,then tapped bearing out ,and beefed the hub up ,refit the bearing and hub and drilled thew and bolted the lot togther  ,should be a lot stronger and do the joby

this is how they sit ,

finaly got the modifyed mk1 hubs fitted along with new steering arms

but ive a problem  dose any one have a pic of the hub hole brack of a mk1 coilover showing the bracket and the bottom part ,as im sure these are wrong as i got a set from swiller but there were modifyed from a mk3 golf as well
some better german top mounts

bit of welded to be sorted and the pedal bit

could get a 6speed so a 5 ill do lol

got a cheep single wiper ,but is this right as its not really centre if u get my drift ,next thing the mk1 wiper dosent fit ,so im assumeing ill need a mk2 one ,any idea were i get get one from

just going to make a start on the wing to fit for the exhaust this week too ,,

u can see theres plenty of room in the inner wing and room to rebolt the wing back roughly in place

Offline adaptorman

• Here all the time
well thought best get the wing sorted  and get the exhaust fitting better so here goes

thats with the exhaust in place
 then as u can plenty of room in the ,may have been able to squeeze a 4 in in there lol ,nice when heatwraped as air under the arch and driveing will keep it ok too

quick strap to save any wing movement ,ive also added one on the underneath and made a bent spanner to get the 10mm nuts behind the pipe (that was fun lol)

cut a lump out of the wing ,saves a job as it was rottern at the bottom too

then made a exhaust clamp ,

just got to add a hefty mount ,not a long job to sort ,
then add a heat guard and exhaust wrap and job done ,,,hope it sounds ok ,ps wing algined back up pritty good i think

well thought best get the wing sorted  and get the exhaust fitting better so here goes

thats with the exhaust in place
 then as u can plenty of room in the ,may have been able to squeeze a 4 in in there lol ,nice when heatwraped as air under the arch and driveing will keep it ok too

quick strap to save any wing movement ,ive also added one on the underneath and made a bent spanner to get the 10mm nuts behind the pipe (that was fun lol)

cut a lump out of the wing ,saves a job as it was rottern at the bottom too

then made a exhaust clamp ,

just got to add a hefty mount ,not a long job to sort ,
then add a heat guard and exhaust wrap and job done ,,,hope it sounds ok ,ps wing algined back up pritty good i think

therd updated tuck 3months so far ,all this for a bit of summer fun before it ,gets cut up for another home made project for next year

Offline monzablue16v

• I live here
That's a proper project :) wondered what you were going to do with the exhaust the tunnel is a bit full lol You planning on taking it to any shows? would like to see it tram down the strip at Santa Pod :laugh:

Probably got lost in the "Great Crash of 08