Author Topic: 1991 Tornado Red Corrado G60 Daily / Project  (Read 29700 times)

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
1991 Tornado Red Corrado G60 Daily / Project
« on: 20 February 2014, 20:23 »
Thought it was time I put up a thread on my recent ebay purchase.

Lovely looking car on the surface, no welding so far but will need some work done to the front passenger sill where its been crushed. Its rotten behind the seal at the top of the drivers side windscrean. Its needing replaced anyway, I just hope the auto-glass man can leave it with me a couple of days inbetween removal and refitting so I can repair it. Its also leaking water somewhere but yet to verify its the screen causing this.

Other issues is the interior as its not great and not put together well. Bits missing here and there. Front seatbelts are not mounted to pillar correctly and rear belts not even there. Have Mk2 Golf ones there but not sure they're the same. No parcel shelf or spare wheel and boot carpet. Central locking not working most of the time. Front strut top are hanging off it, ruining the osf tyre on inside edge. Small dent in osr wheel arch. Has a momo steering wheel I want to swap for a standard one and aftermarket rear lights i'm not too keen on. Bit of laquer peel on ns door and a few wee other stonechips etc but nothing major there. Loads of history adding up to 10k+ and recently had a new distributor and fuse box.

The job that takes priority though is changing the engine as sadly after only the second day of ownership one of the pistons melted. I have one lined up off another svag member just need to pick it up.

Obviously i'll need to figure what caused this as usually related to a fueling issue. Poor injector maybe. I'll probably clean up the bay and paint the new engine while its out but all dependant on cost and motivation but morale is low with this just now. At the stage where I wish I never bought it and just kept my tidy vr6 but I know it'll pass once some progress is made and it'll be worth a good few qud once its done. Just want it running and on the road as it's still mot'd till august. Still waiting on docs from previous owner due to private plate going on retention so cant even tax it until then but its been about 3 weeks so hopefully not long to go. Also need to recieve docs confirming last charger rebuild as left them behind when I collected it. Apparently on a stage 3.

So upto where i'm at now I picked up a 1H rallye engine at the weekend. Just a head and block with low miles but has sat for a good whille.

Anyway got it on the engine stand and began ripping it apart. The head's fine, real good condition. Will just require stripped, cleaned and rebuilt. However, although the bores are really good in regards to wear as it's practically nothing, some moisture has got into one of them and suffered some corrosion or a build up of rust. This is what i'm left with after cleaning away all the brown mankyness and hitting it with wone wd40 and some 2000 grade wet and dry.

So more #1 piston/bore fun. Cars killing me lol. I'm not sure on the what the next best course of action with this or if it's needing the machine shop. I have a bore honing tool for the dril and various air tools that I could try. It is quite prominent when you run your finger over it.

I also had some movment of the same piston so removed it and found the ring to be sticking which after cleaning up seems to be fine. Some moisture got down there too.

Other than this everything else appears to be spot on but yet to do any measuring but it is obviously low miles so in general i'm happy aslong as I can resolve this bore issue quickly.

Some other pics.

« Last Edit: 31 August 2014, 13:19 by Gti_Jamo »

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline gazareth

• I live here
Re: Corrado G60 Project / 1H Rallye Engine Strip Down
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2014, 00:01 »
hey why not swap the pistons in to your original block? along with new set of rings :nerd:

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: Corrado G60 Project / 1H Rallye Engine Strip Down
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2014, 10:53 »
The pistons/bore are slightly smaller in the 1H rallye engine so not an option sadly. Displacement is 1763cc whereas my old normal pg is 1781cc. Plus the 1H Is a better engine. My old engine has considerable bore wear too. I'm going to run the honing tool down it and see how it does.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: Corrado G60 Project / Daily
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2014, 20:19 »
Right then, i've had the block inspected at a machine shop and had the bore honed and its much better but still there although much less obvious to the touch. Obviously a rebore would 100% cure the problem but it's not an option just now so i've decided just to build it up and see how it goes. I'm hopefull the rings will sort it out. Basically run it in and keep an eye on the compression and oil consumption.

It's not ideal but no other option really.  I'm confident though.

So going to start building it back up tomorrow then commence with the swap.

« Last Edit: 12 March 2014, 19:53 by Gti_Jamo »

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: 1991 Corrado G60
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2014, 19:54 »
Couple of the infamous piston nunberm1 now removed from it chamber of carnage.

The 1H block now has its pistons back in along with some new big end bearing shells. Also stripped and cleaned the head. Its had some previous porting done on the inlets. Just now need to get the various seals and gaskets to build it all back up.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: 1991 Corrado G60
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2014, 20:05 »
A little update with how things are progressing.

Engine block and cam cover got hit with some wrinkle black.

Then just started building. Just need to bolt on the gearbox.

It doesn't look great but not going mad with it making it like new if its all coming out again, which it will at some point after the summer. Just need to see how this runs first. Its had the bores honed, new big end shells, both crank seals replaced, crank bolt, stem seals and valves re-lapped, metal head gasket and new bolts, sump painted / new gasket, new timing belt Also have oil / filter, red coolant, thermostat and new expansion tank bottle, fuel filter also along with a bottle of STP.

Also during the build I came across the injector loom.

Quite possibly the cause of my piston detonation. Will need to get another from somewhere as the wiring is split at the base off all the connectors and various other places. I'm surprised it ran at all.

Bay given a minor spruce up along with sorting out the rough loom.

Engine goes back in it tomorrow.

Offline Simeon

• I live here
Re: 1991 Corrado G60 (Update 26/3)
« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2014, 00:28 »
Looks good mate :) Good attitude re not wasting time painting everything, built properly and back on the road asap is best.

You may need to get a local electrician to sort that injector loom, only place I've seen them new is bar-tek... for lots of cash!

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2014, 00:35 »
it looks the same loom as the mk2 golf pb engine. but you could also use an agg loom with all the earths joined together.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #8 on: 29 March 2014, 11:42 »
Cheers guys, luck would have it I have a mk2 project with a mint injector loom so checked and fitted that. Engine is in now, going over to garage soon to finish off hooking it up. Need to source a new charger oil feed pipe as mines corroded and broke real easy. Not a cheap part apparently.

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 29 March 2014, 12:56 »
Onlychargeddubs have them, not overly expensive