Author Topic: Gti_Jamo's White Mk3 Golf Gti....HOME WITH NEW PICS!  (Read 98412 times)

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Gti_Jamo's White Mk3 Golf Gti....HOME WITH NEW PICS!
« on: 06 October 2011, 23:18 »
Hey guys heres a few shots of my recently purchased Mk3 gti 2.0 8v. Will be doing a fair bit to this over the winter months to bring this back from the death.

This is how it looked when I got it, been sitting for 2 years but runs well and drives fine. Only 80,000, full history. Mint interior. Has some rust about it and all four wheel arches are completely shot.

So began the strip down.

So after stripping it down I assessed what it needs I was looking at this list.

Both front wings
Both rear arches
OS Sill
Welding to NS Sill
Welding to rear panel
Some welding to floor at drain plugs
Front crossmember mounting straightened
Radiator
Catalytic converter
All flexi brake pipes

Obviously will be renewing alot of bits but these were just an overview.

Anyway began cutting out rot and welding in new metal. Not welded in over 10 years since I was an apprentice but gave it a bash anyway. (Photo taken mid grinding smooth)

Also had these arrive today.

Got the doors off it and up on axle stands to begin cutting out the OS sill.

Sill gone....

Need to cut the rear arch off and repair a bit of the inner wing before I go any further. Hopefully get a few hours on it tommorow.

Cheers for looking and should have more updates to follow.

« Last Edit: 04 February 2013, 17:11 by Gti_Jamo »

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline Seanl

• I live here
Re: Jamo's Mk3 8v Project
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2011, 06:47 »
Good work, well done for salvaging it an taking on such a project!
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2011, 09:06 »
Bloody hell, if that was most they would have just weighed it in!  :grin:

Good luck! :afro:

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2011, 09:12 »
good to see another 3 saved  :smiley:

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2011, 23:10 »
Looking at the state of those sills I wonder if it was worth saving.

I would not be refitting the covers thats for sure.

:smiley:

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2011, 23:28 »
Its only sills and can be easily repaired. Definately worth saving as Mk3's are dropping like flies these days. If everything goes to plan this will be a fine example with no rust when its finished. wont be seeing the road for the next six months anyway so plenty days, evenings and weekends to get it done. Sill covers will be going back on but the metal underneath will be waxed first. Will be hitting it hard next week!!
« Last Edit: 11 January 2012, 19:24 by Gti_Jamo »

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2011, 23:30 »
Its only sills and can be easily repaired. Definately worth saving as Mk3's are dropping like flies these days. If everything goes to plan this will be a fine example with no rust when its finished. wont be seeing the road for the next six months anyway so plenty evenings and weekends to get it done. Sill covers will be going back on but the metal underneath will be waxed first. Will be hitting it hard next week!!

Fair point but it all depends on what you paid against what it is worth, mk3's are still easy to find, earlier ones seem to be better built.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2011, 23:39 »
£235, 80,000 miles, full service history. Engine and box is sweet as is the interior. very well specced too which to me is important. Just has sat off the road for two years. Even came with a £200 set of alloys. Yeah something to do with cheap grade steel on the later ones make them prone to rust but ive gone over the entire body and it pretty solid despite the OS sill and rear arches. Obviously had them plastic arch covers on it at some point.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2011, 23:40 »
£235, 80,000 miles, full service history. Engine and box is sweet as is the interior. very well specced too which to me is important. Just has sat off the road for two years. Even came with a £200 set of alloys. Yeah something to do with cheap grade steel on the later ones make them prone to rust but ive gone over the entire body and it pretty solid despite the OS sill and rear arches. Obviously had them plastic arch covers on it at some point.

Arch covers were standard on all GTI's, later VR's they were an option.

I always think they look better without them.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2011, 23:44 »
Yes i agree and wont be fitting any. They are the enemy to all Mk3's lol.