Author Topic: D/S versus Driver Profile  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
D/S versus Driver Profile
« on: 08 February 2021, 11:25 »
Hello bit of a newbie but can anyone help me with this as I'm getting my new GTI on Friday.

On the DSG gearbox when putting into S is it the same as the drivers profile Sports mode or is it something completely differently of should you be in drivers sports mode on the profile as well as the DSG. Not trying to sound thick just wondering how it works

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: D/S versus Driver Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2021, 11:33 »
Guess it will be same on the Mk8 as the 7/7.5.

D/S just changes the shifts so you can have sportier shifts in whatever ever driving mode you are in. But when you go into Sport, it does change it to S on the gearbox as well as it would assume you want the sportiest mode available for everything.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2021, 11:52 »
Thanks so all out have it on sport on driver profile and also on stick. Just didn't know if the stick pushed the driver profile into sport too but that answers the stick just for quicker gear change on any profile

Offline Maximusbiggus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2021, 21:54 »
Thanks so all out have it on sport on driver profile and also on stick. Just didn't know if the stick pushed the driver profile into sport too but that answers the stick just for quicker gear change on any profile

They are not necessarily quicker changes. In S mode it holds the gear for longer, taking you higher in the rev range effectively allowing you to access the peak power/torque ranges. But a lot of people feel it holds the gear for too long. Manual mode is nice. In the mk8 just hit the paddles on the steering wheel and you can control exactly which gear you are in..within limits. It won't allow you to drop to a low gear when you are going too fast for that gear thus damaging the engine. Same as if you reach max allowed RPM even in manual mode it will still switch up.
Mk7.5 GTI DSG Tungsten Silver

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 09 February 2021, 18:02 »
Thanks mate all makes sense, looking forward to getting it on Friday and round a few country roads home from work

Offline Maximusbiggus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 09 February 2021, 18:24 »
Thanks mate all makes sense, looking forward to getting it on Friday and round a few country roads home from work

Congrats and best of luck with her. I'll have to wait till July for my clubby!
Mk7.5 GTI DSG Tungsten Silver