Author Topic: GTI Build Dates - Anyone got one yet?  (Read 316754 times)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Re: GTI Build Dates - Anyone got one yet?
« Reply #630 on: 28 May 2013, 11:09 »
I still think its possible, its to do with dealer allocation, or the fact that when the dealers came round to putting the orders through after the bank holiday weekend, there was a deludge of orders, and they didn't get put on in date order by VW UK?

I'll check on that then if I can.

EDIT:
I checked on it.  Three of my "confirmed BW" orders were placed early in April, but one was placed late in April (after my own order in fact).  The order numbers are 2317xxxx, 2318xxxx, 2322xxxx, 2323xxxx.  I've confirmed a rough correlation between order date and order number.  Three of the dealers are from the North, the fourth, oddly, doesn't have a dealer...

So those up north getting early builds does fit, though I think we have insufficient data to really make this conclusion at this stage.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2013, 11:19 by Bill_the_Bear »

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #631 on: 28 May 2013, 11:13 »
Would have to be PP, but my data shows at least one person with a confirmed BW of 24, and the PP!

I think he is talking crap (the VW man, not matchboy).  With all the data I've gathered I'm really beginning to think it is just random. Problem is there are two factors and either or both could be random.  Its either the actual build planning, or their communication of that to us, or both...

BTW: re Sunroof + 19inch
Someone who asked about this said it had to do with putting the emissions over a threshold and into the next tax band.  If true that would fit with why it affects different countries differently.  To be honest I don't believe the theory about weight.  How much heavier can the 19inch wheels be vs the 18inch ones?  Enough to hit some kind of limit?  I don't think so.

I do wonder whether you get a variable response from VW UK depending upon who you speak to - whether someone guesses build week by the date you tell them you ordered, or by the order number provided rather than finding out for sure. My enquiries led me to be put on hold for a good 5 mins whilst the lass on the phone found out. Her answers seemed accurate for my dad's car and if i'm on the tracker towards the end of the week would hold true for me too. My dealer on the other hand seems to agree with VW UK on week 26 for me, but thinks my dad's is doing BW27 and not 25.

If you ring up VW UK and someone gives you an answer straight away without putting you on hold to find out then they've probably made an educated guess based on your order number.

As for the 19" wheels/sunroof combi - maybe the sunroof is a bigger contributor to weight than the wheel upgrade? VW have never been able to tell me why a manual GTD is same CO2 rating in 3 or 5 door, but a 5door DSG GTD is a whole 3g CO2 more than the 3 door DSG GTD, putting it into a whole new tax band. Unless they can tune a 5 door manual to be a bit leaner to counteract the CO2 implications for slightly higher weight for 5 door over 3 door I can't see how they would have the same output.

But if a similar situation occurred with the sunroof/19" wheels and someone was prepared to be in a higher tax disc band for the combo then why stop them? Weird.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #632 on: 28 May 2013, 11:21 »
I've seen no mention of any demos down here in the South - which makes me think that maybe North of England dealers are getting their allocation before dealers in the South.

Which is also weird as its better down South!  :laugh:  :lipsrsealed:

Generally a lot more new cars up here in the North East. If you're in a decent job up here you've got more disposable income than someone down south who's saddled with 50-100% higher house prices for essentially the same house. Demos maybe handed out based on expected sales per dealership group.

You definitely see regional patterns - North East dealerships are offering generous p/x but little in the way of discounts compared to others getting 9-12% off down south (dealerships down there have to try harder to get your money?).

I spent the 2nd half of my childhood down Southampton when my parents moved down there. My school mates down there think I must be on megabucks - they expect the North East to be like those Catherine Cookson ITV dramas.  :laugh: They're all driving old cars because they're saddled with £250k+ mortgages.

Offline jsybrian

• Not said much yet
« Reply #633 on: 28 May 2013, 11:32 »
Popped into dealers this morning ordered 1st April told week 24 build now cahnged to build week 43 this has been brought froward to week 38 (unconfirmed).Not too worried ordered a Focus ST MK2 a few years ago that was 6 months late oh well.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #634 on: 28 May 2013, 11:33 »
As for the 19" wheels/sunroof combi - maybe the sunroof is a bigger contributor to weight than the wheel upgrade?

Exactly, but in this case, since you can get sunroof + 18inch with no problem, whatever the extra weight the 19inches are over and above the 18inches is (according to VW) enough to make the kerb weight too much?  I call BS!

Not sure it makes any more sense on emissions either, but at least that explains national variations.  Like you say the GTD emissions make no sense either...

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #635 on: 28 May 2013, 11:40 »
Maybe it is regional then.  This could be the reason for the differences in Build Weeks!  If that's the case then hey ho, I'd rather live down here and get my car a few weeks later  :laugh: :drool:

Another thing that doesn't make sense to me is this sunroof issue with the 19s - if it adds too much weight then surely that means a car with a sunroof is heavier than one without - how does that stack up with VW's weight figures??  And this will surely mean a car with a sunroof will be slower??
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #636 on: 28 May 2013, 11:44 »
Well I could sort my analysis by region and do it that way.

Problem is there are so many ways we could look at this and we don't have much data.  I've had over 40 responses to the online survey thingy but many gave incomplete data.  For example, some who filled it in don't have confirmed BWs, didn't want to give me their full order number (understandable) and didn't give the dealer name (also understandable).  To be honest that doesn't give me much to work on.

That leaves maybe around 20 responses, but they are all different specs ordered at different times to finding a trend is virtually impossible.

I might try anyway.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #637 on: 28 May 2013, 11:45 »
Popped into dealers this morning ordered 1st April told week 24 build now cahnged to build week 43 this has been brought froward to week 38 (unconfirmed).Not too worried ordered a Focus ST MK2 a few years ago that was 6 months late oh well.

I'd rely on VW UK more than what your dealer tells you. especially if customer service puts you on hold for 5 mins and go to speak to the people in the know - the sales division. If you were one of the first in your dealership to order (likely with an april 1st order) and you haven't made any changes to your order since then week 24/25 seems quite feasable. Did you get an order number from your dealership? If the dealer took your deposit and forgot to book your order in with VW UK before they put 5 orders in for other people in the meantime (and hammering their allocation) and you've ended up with a late order number like 2323xxxx I can imagine week 38 not being far off the mark. Not saying that's what likely happened.

If you have your order number you might want to ring VW UK and see what they say.

Offline HA54SYM`

• I live here
« Reply #638 on: 28 May 2013, 12:14 »
I still think its possible, its to do with dealer allocation, or the fact that when the dealers came round to putting the orders through after the bank holiday weekend, there was a deludge of orders, and they didn't get put on in date order by VW UK?

I'll check on that then if I can.

EDIT:
I checked on it.  Three of my "confirmed BW" orders were placed early in April, but one was placed late in April (after my own order in fact).  The order numbers are 2317xxxx, 2318xxxx, 2322xxxx, 2323xxxx.  I've confirmed a rough correlation between order date and order number.  Three of the dealers are from the North, the fourth, oddly, doesn't have a dealer...

So those up north getting early builds does fit, though I think we have insufficient data to really make this conclusion at this stage.

Interesting thing is my order number 2317xxxx, was not the first GTi they had sold, I was the third order, so presumably there will be deliveries before mine.

Dave
94 - Roversport Tomcat Racecar

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #639 on: 28 May 2013, 12:18 »
Interesting thing is my order number 2317xxxx, was not the first GTi they had sold, I was the third order, so presumably there will be deliveries before mine.

WOW :shocked:  You northern boys don't hang around do you?

I'm slightly less worried about twiddling my thumbs while GTI after GTI drives by now and my BW gets put back again and again.  If they're all up north I won't be feeling so jealous!