Author Topic: ...joe - black mk2  (Read 37669 times)

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
almost up to date!!!
« Reply #10 on: 25 March 2005, 23:26 »
so we're getting close to where i'm at at the moment. i did a few other things like getting some crystal headlights and a set of half smoked crystal rears, just to update things a bit. i went to a few no-rice shows before it got moved to fleet, which is just that bit too far from me now. which is a shame because i enjoyed going there alot.

at the end of the summer i was getting pissed off with my job and a few weeks later quit to train as a trimmer. i love cars and although i seem able to do most things i didn't fancy becoming a mechanic and i don't think i've got the patience to be a sprayer/bodywork person. so becoming a trimmer seemd like a good thing to learn. i trained with a few guys who were good to me and let me do things that i wanted, but the downside was that i wasn't getting paid alot and in the end i had to go back to work. in this time though i had learnt alot and still do a bit of trimming in my spare time.

however, during this time of poverty and about the same time as i started posting on here, i managed to f**k my car up. i was driving around and it kept misfiring. then it went pop bang bang splutter etc till i got home. i couln't start it and got a pressure test done it and one cylinder was way down so i had to get it over to johns to investigate further. was a depressing day. pissing down and having my car loaded on the back of a lorry, but it looks quite good in the photo so i don't mind showing it!

me and john tried a few things and he had it running sweet for a while but in the end it was obvious something was wrong so i decided to get the engine out.
team grumpy....... its a way of life, not a forum post

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk
www.facebook.com/Trimdeluxe

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
engine stuff, some good some bad!!
« Reply #11 on: 25 March 2005, 23:37 »
right so if anyone's looked at my gallery they may have seen a few of these pics but i'll put them in order with a few bits of explaination.

engine looks quite clean though!!

so thats the engine coming out!!

thats the pistons out

and thats the problem piston!!!
so this lead me down the road of, i'm as good as unemployed, no transport, buggered engine. i looked at a few engines but they were all so high mileage or a bit dubious so i wasn't sure what i was gonna do.
« Last Edit: 25 March 2005, 23:40 by gtijoe »

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
almost there!!!
« Reply #12 on: 25 March 2005, 23:49 »
so i got a bit depressed, thought of lots of things i could do found a set of electric recaro's in a scrap yard. quite funny conversation i had trying wangle them cheap as possible.
me "hello mate, how much for a mk2 golf interior?"
him"which one?"
me"just the one one in that blue one"
him"oh that one"
me"yeah, how much?"
him"hmmm well they're recaro's they are"
me thinking "arse he knows what they are"
him"so they'll have to be fifty quid"
me"ok, i 'spose so, i'll go and get some tools"
then ran off with a massive grin on my face knowing how much they're worth!!!
i intended on re-trimming them and putting them in my car but at the end of the day knew i was skint and i could sell these and put the money towards sorting my engine! so i offered them up for sale, sold them and made £250 for 10mins in a scrap yard and 10 mins on the internet!! but they were nice seats so i kept a photo of them!

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
other stuff
« Reply #13 on: 26 March 2005, 00:06 »
so i got another job, started to become solvent again so decided to sort my engine. i talked through the best options with john and we decided he'd polish and port my manifolds and throttle body. he'd get a friend of his who builds touring car engines to polish/port/gas flow/whatever my head. i've seen some of his heads before and he does excellent work. then i'd have the bottom end bored out to 1900 and re-new all the bearings etc while i was at it. and as john is an authorised miltek dealer he'd put a g60 downpipe on which is an amazing piece of kit. so this is all being done at the moment. my head is due back next week, later than expected. the pistons are here waiting to be put in the block which is waiting to be bored out next week so here's some stuff i did while i was deciding what to do and getting other things sorted.

i pulled out my dash and replaced the bulbs and filters with red ones and wanted to fit some VDO gauges so started with this mess.

with help from this site, i sorted out the wiring for the gauges

then built a pod for them and set them into my dash.

then took some photos showing where i'd moved the stereo down to where the ashtray was because i was quite pleased with how it all came together!
« Last Edit: 26 March 2005, 00:08 by gtijoe »

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
cleaning/painting
« Reply #14 on: 26 March 2005, 00:16 »
with my engine in bits and being a bit of a cleaning freak i took all sorts of bits to my dads work and stuck them in a bead blaster to see how they'd come up. they came up good!!!

then i painted some bits. i wanted to chrome alot of parts but i've got to be realistic here! so painting did the job, i also put some metalflake laquer on for a bit of a laugh. not sure if it looks hit or not though!

and while i was at it i cleaned and painted my gearbox

« Last Edit: 26 March 2005, 00:19 by gtijoe »

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
few more bits, nothing special!!
« Reply #15 on: 31 March 2005, 18:11 »
kinda hit a bit of a stand still. pistons haven't arrived which is annoying because they were promised to me over a week ago now. and the head isn't back yet so not much to report engine wise. but here is a pic of the new piston from the people i bought them off. wow fascinating!

other than that been having a clean up in my engine bay and hiding as much wiring as possible. i didn't think i'd done too much but looking back at some old pics i've cleaned it up quite a bit.....without going over the top!

one bit that was the most mankiest was the master cylinder:

it was one big scab of rust so i had a few options. 1. buy a new one, wasn't worth it as the old one works fine. 2. buy a chromed one. this was high on my list but was also kinda high in price so i'll save that for later. and 3. clean up and make the best of the old one. i did this, got a wire brush on a drill and attacked it not expecting much. the plan was to tart it up a bit, but knowing me, once the rust was gone (it came up surprisingly well!!) it was flatter than i thought! so i primered it, filler primered it, smoothed it off, filler primed it again, smoothed it off then gave it a coat of vw's finest black stuff!, its not perfect but it'll do till i can justify a chromed beauty!!

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
few more bits
« Reply #16 on: 31 March 2005, 18:25 »
ages back i was speeding down the road minding my own business when i noticed something creeping up over the bonnit. when i stopped i realised that the grill/eyebrow spoiler had a crack coming from one of the mounting screws and was causing it to lift. i told my self i'd fix it when i got home with some adhesive or something. anyway to cut a long story short, i forgot and drove to my mates house a good 20 miles away later that night. got to his house and told him about it, we went and had a look and the air had a bit more pwer to it than i thought and the spoiler had torn off!! stupid thing was i didn't even notice it come flying off!! must have either been going fast or just not paying attention!
anyway got another one thats waiting to go on as part of the make over but thought i'd add it on here anyway!
other things i've bought that are sitting in waiting are a set of audioscape doorpods. at the end of the day they are better than my homemade efforts and i got them at an irresistable price *cough*£85includingpostage*cough* so they'll be part of the interior make over. didn't see the point in putting them on for a few months.

also only for a cosmetic point of view, i got hold of a sprinter wing vent that'll be welded in when money allows. i say for a cosmetic point of view as i'm sure they do little to add to the amount of air going into the filter box. this is because of something called the bernoullie effect, which is something to do with the air pressure rushing past the car being higher( or is that lower?) than that in the engine bay thus sucking air out. eitherway i doubt i'll notice any difference but it'll look cool i hope.

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
Re: gtijoe - low 'n polished mk2
« Reply #17 on: 03 April 2005, 20:51 »
nothing much to say as i spent the weekend with my girlie doing rude things and enjoying the weather!!!.... but got woken up early on saturday by a nice delivery man who handed me my pistons so there should be no holding back now!!!! just got to drop the block off to be bored and then start piecing it all back together, by which time the head should be back and then it can all get bolted back in there!! getting excited now!!!

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
oh bollocks!!!
« Reply #18 on: 04 April 2005, 11:13 »
just read studubs thread about getting his car ready for inters.....4 weeks!!!!!! i've just got into panick mode and am now scared i'm not gonna make it!!! i really need to pull my finger out now!! thats all folks, expect more soon as i rush around trying to get stuff done!!

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
photo updates!!!!
« Reply #19 on: 07 April 2005, 20:43 »
thanks to mr jv, i managed to get the old pics i had on my old pc off to put them up here. i've added some to the relevant sections but these are just some where they looked cool and my car was up and running!!

« Last Edit: 07 April 2005, 20:54 by gtijoe »

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk