Author Topic: Project Corrado 1.8T  (Read 23390 times)

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
Project Corrado 1.8T
« on: 06 April 2013, 22:47 »
Ok so i have been meaning to make a thread about this for a while now so here goes....

I bought the car at the beginning of December it looked a bit like this

It wasn't perfect had a few dents, some rust and had been resprayed (badly)
It had a running 1.8 16v which i soon removed after buying the car dont have any photos of this.
so i decided smoothing the bay was a good starting point ill let the photos do the talking
Mocking up the plate

Plate all welded in

Starting smoothing the bay of both sides

soon started to remove the un needed brackets

it is not much further on than that as i wanted to get the lump in to make sure i had covered all areas and sort a few things out so in the new engine goes

Also as you can see from this photos the wheels and suspension have been removed

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
Re: Project Corrado 1.8T
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2013, 22:48 »
Apart from engine side of things i have been doing some body work started on the door looks like people liked opening there door on to this side of the car

first layer of filler went on

It seems really hard to get it all smooth so i have left it like this for now

today i started to fit and mount the intercooler and also run the boost pipes there wasnt a lot of room to fit the intercooler but worked out the best place and started grinding, tried to do it without removing anything structural main two points are show here

Not finished as i want to tidy up and weld a bit of support onto the second cut but it now fits

As for running boost pipes i have mocked this up but i want to make a few changes but as for now it looks a bit like this
First i used the original pipe and cut to make it work

Used a reducer of the turbo

Sits a lot higher than id like but as i said i may change this next time

mocked up like this for now

Just need to order some bends to mock up the other side

I did want it to show a little through the bumper but this is the best i could get it for now with this intercooler you can just see the bottom of it (not a very good photo)

Thats about as far as i have got so far, im going to take more photos of the stuff i do along the way and will update after

cheers

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2013, 22:54 »
For a moment I was excited by the thread title.

Then I clicked on it and you're welding sheet steel over the top of the chassis legs  :huh:

Isn't that just creating moisture traps so it's going to rot out underneath?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2013, 23:04 »
Will you be able to get a bonnet on with the boost pipe sitting that high?

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2013, 08:21 »
Not trying to keep all comments negative, but as I said in your thread on the Corrado Forum, why didn't you paint up the rest of the bay to cover the original colour when you took the KR out? You went to the effort of welding in metal and painting that................... :undecided:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2013, 13:47 »
For a moment I was excited by the thread title.

Then I clicked on it and you're welding sheet steel over the top of the chassis legs  :huh:

Isn't that just creating moisture traps so it's going to rot out underneath?

I see what your are saying but in between the two photos i sprayed etch primer on the underside of the sheet welded in and also the whole of the chassis leg (didn't get a photo) i also plan to use wax oil to spray in the gap i have left to help give it a bit more protection i think it should be ok i researched a lot of build threads and have seen a lot of people do this with little or no problems  :smiley:

Will you be able to get a bonnet on with the boost pipe sitting that high?

Yes the bonnet closes completely without hitting the boost pipes but i am about to show some things i did this morning that have given a bit more clearance  :wink:

Not trying to keep all comments negative, but as I said in your thread on the Corrado Forum, why didn't you paint up the rest of the bay to cover the original colour when you took the KR out? You went to the effort of welding in metal and painting that................... :undecided:

I have seen your post on the corrado forum and will reply to let everyone know in there aswell, like i said in the first post the bay is not finished yet the engine went in to sort a few things and check i have smoothed as much as i wanted and the black paint was just sprayed on the parts that were bare metal to protect them as thats all i had down my unit at the time  :wink:

Update coming soon  :cool:

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2013, 13:58 »
ok so i have done a little more to this today was not happy with the way i had layed my boost pipes so decided i would change them, i need to buy 3 bends and some clips to finish it but it should look something like this now  :D

Its a little tight to the starter motor but nothing is clamped up yet

As shown in the photos the boost pipes are a lot closer to the engine and now run in a straight line so i am a lot happier i know there is two bends at the bottom but i dont think it will restrict air flow to much?

Still got plenty more to do and will update again soon  :)

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2013, 14:30 »
with engine movement, I think your gonna end up with a big crack in that pipe sooner rather than later.......
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 07 April 2013, 15:33 »
with engine movement, I think your gonna end up with a big crack in that pipe sooner rather than later.......

Once again as said if you read the posts its not in its finale position as the 90 degree bend is in the post not with me so its all going to move as im using the starter motor to hold it in its rough position........ :rolleyes:

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #9 on: 07 April 2013, 15:36 »
Good luck chasing down boost leaks as well I  count 9 or 10 joins from the ic to turbo  :lipsrsealed: