Author Topic: Overheating and bottom of radiator leaking  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Jasikasisback

• I live here
Overheating and bottom of radiator leaking
« on: 10 December 2016, 22:58 »
More details. The top hose is warm and the bottom is cold. Both hoses go rock hard when the car has been running, both soft when cold. The heater blows hot. Both engine oil and tranny oil look fine. Does not overheat on idle from cold with fans running, but once put under load overheats. Radiator leaks where bottom hose enters radiator when cold and when hot. Radiator itself remains cold...is this a thermostat that just won't open ir a more serious problem? Can I just remove the thermostat to check?Any help appreciated.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Overheating and bottom of radiator leaking
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2016, 13:49 »
Thermostat. Waterpump. Blocked radiator.

Thermostat is cheap for a start. You could back flush the radiator and see if anything comes out.

Also maybe have the water system pressure tested

Offline Jasikasisback

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2016, 17:46 »
In the process of trying to remove a stripped nut from the thermostat housing...so rusty...my chisel broke trying to separate it..:(

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2016, 19:04 »
Wow thats not good. When its off check it in boiling water. If your going to run it open just knock the middle out of it so the body is still there

Offline Jasikasisback

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2016, 19:49 »
The thermostat just opens late for some reason...the needle is in red for awhile and then it goes down to the midzone...but it stays in the red or very near red for a few minutes..which can't be doing the engine any favours...never thought of just knocking the middle out of the thermostat and sticking it back in....the thermostat is cheap enough to replace anyway, just hope I can get the nut off without damaging the bolt..tried with a chisel tonight but ended up killing the end of the chisel...:(...put lots of wd40 on it and will have another go tomorrow...if the headgasket is cooked or the radiator is fubared then car will be going bye bye....:)

Offline Jasikasisback

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 December 2016, 20:26 »
looks like i killed it...I hit the nut on the thermostat housing and fluid came out from behind the water pump..think I killed the water pump or at least the gasket behind it
...only can take so many whacks I guess...:(..tried to get the bolt of with a hacksaw...ni real luck.....;(

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2016, 15:42 »
Is this your mk3 Golf?
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Jasikasisback

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2016, 22:42 »
Nope...but thought I could get help here anyway...never thought of knocking out the guts of a thermostat..so something new learned....the Golf has been rusting away because I can't get a test date for a manual transmission test...sucks doesn't it...:(...been sitting since May....) DVLA have no interest in arranging a service that would let me take a test...as if you have an automatic licence then you have to book by phone..and guess what..there are never any appointments .....sad sad...