Author Topic: can a 1.8 20v agn engine be turbo'd  (Read 4049 times)

Offline 20vtommy

• Just got here
can a 1.8 20v agn engine be turbo'd
« on: 05 March 2016, 22:37 »
hi i have a golf 1.8 20v agn non turbo and i also have a complete ko3s turbo set up from when i done a ko4 conversion, i was wondering if i can fit the ko3s kit on my engine with obv the sump and oil filter housing for the oil feed and return, would i need to fit a thicker head gaskit and also would i need a 1.8t wiring loom and ecu kit to do this. any advice would be a great help.

a list of other parts i may need would also help.

i have turbo, manifold, inlet manifold, oil and water feeds, injectors, tip, 4bar fuel reg, cone filter, downpipe. i know i need sump and oil filter housing but do i need anything else?

thanks in advance

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: can a 1.8 20v agn engine be turbo'd
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2016, 11:06 »
sell the stuff you have an buy a turbo to start with  :smiley:

Offline 20vtommy

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2016, 02:58 »
but that isnt as much fun to do is it

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2016, 12:33 »
also from an insurance perspective, it'll go up more than actually just buying one with a turbo already on  :laugh:
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline 20vtommy

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2016, 14:24 »
also from an insurance perspective, it'll go up more than actually just buying one with a turbo already on  :laugh:

who said it was for road use? i was intending on building it up from spares i had with out having to buy another car but have now sold that golf and got another one which is a 1.8t agu, but has bottom end problems so going to fit a engine out of a leon cupra 180bhp.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 June 2016, 21:44 »
Too late now, but in theory yes you could use the non-turbo engine, however... I believe they have a higher compression ratio because of the lack of forced induction so you'd of needed to lower the compression really otherwise it wouldn't last very long or make good power.

Not totally sure if there's any major structural differences between the 1.8 20 valve engines, but if not then buying a non-turbo engine to use as a base could be quite a cost effective start to a major build. Sure someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!