Author Topic: Car dryer  (Read 3919 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Car dryer
« on: 13 August 2018, 11:40 »
I decided to try the Big Boi Mini R car dryer from Ultimate Finish -http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/bigboi/blowr-mini.aspx

Drying the whole car is quite a job  as you have to 'chase' the water off each panel but where it excels is wheels, grills, around the headlights, door handles and mirrors etc.

Here's a quick demo of it on it on my wheels - https://www.instagram.com/p/BmVX2tSAWAj/?taken-by=detailsofperfection

The Parker wheels have a rim running around the back of the spokes which traps water. I've noticed this on quiet a few cars I've detailed. Depending on how its parked means that you can't get the trapped water out but no problems with the Mini R.

It also has 2 heat settings and adjustable fan - up to 220 KPM!

Probably an expensive addition for most people - looking forward to trying it on a Ducati Panigale this week!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Car dryer
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2018, 12:08 »
Nice piece of kit Jim, and a very useful item to have in your cleaning/detailing arsenal. I don’t have the Big Boi Mini R, but I have the Meteo Vac Sidekick Blaster and I wouldn’t want to be without it

The Sidekick is quite small and light so highly portable. I’ve perfected the art of drying my whole car with it with the long pointed nozzle attachment - as you’ve said, the technique to drying the whole car is to ‘chase’ the water off each panel. With a well protected car, after the final open hose rinse there’s not much water left to chase off the car. I get rid of any remaining water droplets with a Wo-Wo drying towel.

The Sidekick Blaster is also very good at getting water out of all those annoying crevices that seem to retain water and then dribble down the vertical panels when you think you’ve finished drying. It’s a bit noisy though when it’s directed at water traps like wheel bolt holes and around the edge of the door mirror glass, although I find wearing a pair of ear plugs useful.

It amuses the neighbour when he sees me using it :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Wide

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2018, 12:58 »
This works as Well,  a little bit cheaper 🤔

https://youtu.be/QURe98TTl08
My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2018, 13:08 »
Nice piece of kit Jim, and a very useful item to have in your cleaning/detailing arsenal. I don’t have the Big Boi Mini R, but I have the Meteo Vac Sidekick Blaster and I wouldn’t want to be without it

The Sidekick is quite small and light so highly portable. I’ve perfected the art of drying my whole car with it with the long pointed nozzle attachment - as you’ve said, the technique to drying the whole car is to ‘chase’ the water off each panel. With a well protected car, after the final open hose rinse there’s not much water left to chase off the car. I get rid of any remaining water droplets with a Wo-Wo drying towel.

The Sidekick Blaster is also very good at getting water out of all those annoying crevices that seem to retain water and then dribble down the vertical panels when you think you’ve finished drying. It’s a bit noisy though when it’s directed at water traps like wheel bolt holes and around the edge of the door mirror glass, although I find wearing a pair of ear plugs useful.

Sounds pretty similar, the Mini R is nice and small and actually the Jose is good length so you can do a whole side without moving it. Wheels are extra would be handy. Its not too noise wise either and the warm air function is nice.  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline MKgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2018, 18:30 »
Nice Jim,  I didn't realise they had hot air as well.

I use a dewalt blower bit like Wilde's Makita.
I have it for my job so very useful for doing car.
Collected and being driven....... Gti PP 5dr DSG Tornado red, tints and Brescia's.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2018, 21:28 »

+1 great piece of kit 👍
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2018, 18:57 »
I have a BigBoi Mini, and it's very useful, particularly for the hoeycomb grilles, and wheels - my car has Austins, with the annoying rim around the inner circumference.

It's a very worthwhile piece of kit, particularly in winter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2018, 14:38 »
I have a BigBoi Mini, and it's very useful, particularly for the hoeycomb grilles, and wheels - my car has Austins, with the annoying rim around the inner circumference.

It's a very worthwhile piece of kit, particularly in winter.

Yes it's great, gets pretty warm even on low heat setting.
NOW - 330e M Sport