Author Topic: adapting MK1 CAB windows to electic progress  (Read 1734 times)

Offline 8valvesgood

• GTI forum regular
adapting MK1 CAB windows to electic progress
« on: 25 July 2004, 13:15 »
Well i paid a visit down the scrap yard again and obtained the full arm mechanism off an AX including the motors. It seems that these are the most recent mechanism available that is direct driven meaning it runs a quarter shaped gear which then lifts an arm.

All the VW's including the polo's are cable driven and not much use to adapt at all

Anyway the CAB's window lift is quite a complicated setup but effective, the AX simply moves one arm whilst the CAB has an arm which acts in a scissor kick motion.

Easiest option is to remove the spindle and drive the the rest from a gear off the motor, trouble is there is not enough space at the front of the arm to house the motor unlike the original AX setup which is very similar.

Therefore I either need to run the gear from the back of the arm and create a longer shaft to connect to the motor.

Or the final option which seems best, if the quarter gear is the same position, is to remove this off the AX and mount on the CABS as the gearing teeth is out, this will enable the motor to drive the arm in the standard setup of the CAB, the problem now is just creating a mounting point for the motor.

It can be done as i rigged up a basic set up and got the arm moving off the AX motor, i will take photos when the item is complete. it will just few days as accuracy is important here, once i have a pucka side i will use this as the template.

so far its cost ?10 for the motors and arms and a ?5 for the window switches and panel the rest will be labour and a basic wiring setup.

the only benefit of being a teacher means i get the 6 weeks off and seeing as the works all marked i might as well have a play with the CAB.
You can't polish a turd