Author Topic: Anyone please help. I have mounting labour costs and getting nowhere -Suspension  (Read 6658 times)

Offline Kola

• Not said much yet
Hi,

I bought some H&R VR6 Mk3 specific lowering springs on EBay.  I know H&R and Koni shocks is a popular mix.  I cant afford the Koni's yet but getting there.  I was just to do the springs on standard shocks for now. 

So,  I ordered and waited a week or two for delivery from Germany. They came I booked my car in.  Today was the big day.  All was well then this afternoon the garage rang me to say the front springs dont fit my VR6.  I mean how??  The springs have VR6 and MK3 wrote on the springs individually.  The rear ones fit just fine.

The garage tell me the diameter of the centre of the H&Rs are far too big for the shocks on my car.  They wondered if the shocks are possibly not the right ones and have been changed at some point but dispelled that thought and went back to thinking there just not the right springs. 

Anyone had this issue before?  Like I say I know Mk3's and H&Rs and Koni's go together oftern.

This is the exact item I bought:-  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H-R-Lowering-Springs-Fred-for-VW-VR6-Golf-3-VR6-Vento-VR6-Abe-1-3-16in-60872-1/372206453970?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

My car is a 1997 VR6 Highline. 

Currently I am have contacted seller and asked their advice.  But even when they take a return I then have to send these back meaning im £150 in labour fees down just to be back to where I was in the first place when I done bot all wrong. 

Anyone offer any advice here.  Be greatly appreciated. 
My new GF gives me no problems!  Unlike ALL of the rest!!  She's only 21, black and extremely sexy. Sure she may have a slight drinking problem but nothing is perfect right?   Her name is Vicky (The VR6) Highline and I am madly in love.

Offline Kola

• Not said much yet
Hi can no one offer any input here?

Me and my mate have now tried to fit the springs and now have to agree with the garage. The springs that H&R sent do not fit.  The metal cap thingy at the top is just too small.  It fits and covers the original spring but these H&R ones it hardly touches them.  I mean these are like double the diameter. 

On the springs they have VR6 Mk3 and F for front stamped on.   How can these have such a god reputation on here and else where when they don't fit? Has anyone else ran into this problem?  If not why / how is my car unique? 

Any help or just ideas greatly appreciated
My new GF gives me no problems!  Unlike ALL of the rest!!  She's only 21, black and extremely sexy. Sure she may have a slight drinking problem but nothing is perfect right?   Her name is Vicky (The VR6) Highline and I am madly in love.

Offline Kola

• Not said much yet
To put my dilemma clearer, taking the names from this diagram here....

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

...... It is the upper strut mount that fits perfectly on the standard springs. However the new H&R springs, the diameter is far too big and the spring cannot be secured by the much smaller (but adequate) on the standard spring.

If these H&R springs were to fit its as if they should come with an extended upper strut mount. But why the hell not just make them fit right in the first place??

H&R springs have a very high rep and many VR6 owners use these. As I was saying is my car unique? I have trawled the net and no one else has ever seemed to state this issue.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Can't be the right springs for the car. Possibly different part number required for your auto VR6?
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Kola

• Not said much yet
Hiya mate,

I have pieced together what I believe has happened.

I think the VR6s was revised in 1995. And this top hat things was revised along with it. As such the springs were from this point narrower at the tops.  My VR6 is a 97 model and these H&R springs are for the Pre95 model. 

So, to fit these H&R pre 1995 springs and my theory is correct, I need to get part number 1H0412341. I have no clue why H&R do not mention this. Cant believe im the only person to ever have had this issue.

I have since bought 2 of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Sus...72.m2749.l2649

Ill let you all know later in the week if it fits.

Hope this info can help someone out sometime.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Iirc the suspension setup was revised at some point.
There were also different top strut mounts.... had that issue on my 94 2.0 2E estate
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles