Author Topic: Rattle Behind Dashboard Cubby - Solved!  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Rattle Behind Dashboard Cubby - Solved!
« on: 23 May 2019, 22:13 »
Almost since new, in March, my car has had a rattle from the dashboard cubbyhole area, to the right of the steering wheel. I had convinced myself it was the cubby lid that was rattling, as it seemed to quieten when I held it. Until today, I hadn't done a proper investigation, but after I removed the cubby lid, (open it and squeeze the sides together, quite hard!), the actual cause became apparent. The panel in the photo sits under the dash, below the cubby, between the driver's knee airbag and the footwell light/OBD socket area. It should be secured by the T20 screw at the top of the photo (nearest to the driver) and a tongue, which slides into a clip on the bulkhead at the bottom of the photo. The person who assembled mine had missed the clip, so the panel was bouncing up and down and, err, rattling. Unscrewed it, assembled it properly and, very satisfyingly, the rattle has completely gone!

I can't believe mine is the only car this has happened to, so, if you've got an unidentified rattle in the cubby area, it might be worth taking a look.

Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Rattle Behind Dashboard Cubby - Solved!
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2019, 22:54 »
Did this to mine too a good few months ago. Very satisfying to actually fix a rattle 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Re: Rattle Behind Dashboard Cubby - Solved!
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2019, 11:28 »
It is very satisfying!

Just to clarify, to check or fix the panel there is no necessity to remove the cubby. Look/feel below the dash to see if the panel is properly captive at the far side. If it isn’t, use a T20 screwdriver to remove the screw and reassemble the panel, ensuring that the tongue is inserted into it’s clip. Replace the screw and you’re done.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.