Author Topic: 10 Days old gti and already a couple of problems  (Read 3679 times)

Offline GtiRab

• Just got here
New gti only picked up on the 8th, was washing the car yesterday only to notice a very deep grove on the whole circumference of the rear driver side brake disc about right in the middle of the disc the other 3 discs are fine. And also there are two very fine chips in the middle of the windscreen.

I have only done 600 miles since I picked the car up. I will call vw about the disc as the nearest vw dealer is over 100 miles away and will also call autoglass to find out what the chips are going to cost to fix they are very fine.

Just hope vw don’t try to fob me off with the usual wear and tear on the disc as the car is so new? :sick: :sick:

Offline Craig

• Not said much yet
Re: 10 Days old gti and already a couple of problems
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2019, 06:39 »
Hi and welcome.

Congratulations on your new motor.

Regarding the disc I would possibly suggest a small stone has found its way into the rear pad and is possibly causing the groove. I would doubt VW would sort under warranty. To if you are hand with some basic tools might I suggest you remove the wheel and calliper and have a look yourself. Or give it a few more miles and see if it clears itself.

Chips on windscreen is just a part of driving. Like chips on bodywork. Infuriating but part of the course. Have a look at PPF. You can have it fitted to the windscreen also.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2019, 09:59 »
Yup really common just real life damage. It happens.

As my friend said, the brake disc will wear down and erase the mark, but you'll get another soon as anyway.

Windscreen and bonnet chips also very very common - I get the impression its to do with the shape of the nose of the car - it certainly happens far more on the Mk7 than other cars I've had previously, but its almost certainly from a NCAP requirement for minimising pedestrian fatalities combined with a lower drag requirement for emissions.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2019, 12:53 »
The first scars on the car are (nearly) always the worst.

The common denominator here is loose chippings by the looks of it.
Have you driven on any recently resurfaced roads Rab? Are there any near the dealer you collected the car from? Oh, and welcome!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Catnapper

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2019, 10:21 »
I also had a groove on mine, now seems to be not as worrying after 13k.
Stone chip on bonnet & windscreen too.
It's honestly putting me off buying brand new in the future.
Don't speak to me about alloys!!!!!
MK7.5 Indium Grey 19" Brescia Alloys

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2019, 13:08 »
Apart from keeping your distance from the car in front, little you can do about stone chips on the rubbish roads of the UK - still no guarantee- got my first on the Golf roof when I was on a deserted motorway - something flicked up from the opposite carriageway  :sad:
You can get that protective film but that looks worse than a stone chip IMO
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline GtiRab

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2019, 13:58 »
Thanks all, for the welcome

Yes think I was just so annoyed finding marks in such a new car, but still think vw make there windscreens from egg shells  :grin: :grin:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2019, 14:27 »
Same company makes screens for every other manufacturer so it's not Vw. Pilkington or St Gobain make the glass so it points to the shape of the car.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline McBreadhead

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2019, 18:48 »
On the subject of protecting the front paintwork what products do people recommend? Are films worth it or are ceramic coats better? VW are known to overcharge for their solution so interested to know what alternatives work well. 

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2019, 22:26 »
My sister just got a brand new Mercedes GLC delivered (on a truck) last week and even that had a ton of squashed bugs and a stone chip on the bumper! Modern cars finishes are fragile.