Author Topic: Front Brakes/Pads  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Re: Front Brakes/Pads
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2019, 11:12 »
Lack of use perhaps a factor.
My 2015,s rears were advisable when I bought it ,It has only covered 12 k in 3 years, a set of Brembo pads and discs just over £100 from a quick look

I can see where you're coming from, but this would only be a factor if the discs had corroded to the point they were still pitted etc. once the surface rust had worn off. That said, as long as they still functioned with enough power, they would still pass an MOT and the main issue would simply be appearance and a slight increase in wear rate from that point onwards.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2019, 11:34 »
Hi folks,

I have a March 2016 PP which as it stands has done just under 20K
Rear pads/discs were replaced March 2019 on last service.
Advised front need replacing - 25% wear left - Quote £319.

Is this normal wear and tear? Can't say I drive the car hard - anything but.

Am I being overly cynical? Thoughts appreciated ...

When challenged they will probably say 'Ah sorry, our mistake, only 25% worn not left!'

At less than 20k no possible way for you to have used 75% of front let alone rear unless all those miles were done purely around the Nurburgring!  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Gorocco

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2019, 15:18 »
When challenged they will probably say 'Ah sorry, our mistake, only 25% worn not left!'

At less than 20k no possible way for you to have used 75% of front let alone rear unless all those miles were done purely around the Nurburgring!  :grin:

Thanks Jim,

I get videos sent while they service the vehicle.

In March 2018 i was advised to replace the rears due to corrosion so fair enough I arranged for this to happen during the March 2019 service i.e I book this to happen on the same day. I get another video during the March 2019 service prior to the car being returned telling me it will pass the MOT (being done the same time) but to be aware of the rear pads etc ! I ring up the dealer and remind them they are supposed to be replacing the rear pads etc today while it is in for servicing ! Oh yes, they say ... it will be done ... and was also advised I need new wipers (at £37) to get it through the MOT. I paid for brake flush on top of the service and I was also offered an engine flush which I politely declined.

A few days before, I had an absolute nightmare organising an extended service cover (got first two years included) because it wouldn't let me do it online. This resulted in numerous emails/phone calls after they initially referred me to VW customer services who referred me to VW Financial Services who then referred me back to customer services who referred me back to the dealer.

The car is fantastic but at times it is more hassle than what it is worth. Thanks for the advice guys ...
PP, tints, Chassis Control.

Offline Aparat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2019, 15:31 »
Just last week my GTi went for a inspection with pollen filter, and guess what.. same 25% left and lip developing on disc, but because they were making noise which was annoying me I stupidly agreed to do it there and then and forgot to ask for old parts to have a look. As a bonus they did oil service for free  :grin: but only because technician tought its inspection with oil and because I never said so they never charged me  :evil:

BTW is it £319 for discs and pads with labour? Because I thought performance models are excluded from that fixed price
« Last Edit: 16 May 2019, 15:36 by Aparat »