Author Topic: Mountune and fifteen52 create "Mountune52" for MQB  (Read 6868 times)

Offline Lump

• Not said much yet
Re: Mountune and fifteen52 create "Mountune52" for MQB
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2019, 07:09 »
The M52 unit seems to have only one plug. The DTUK unit has three. (or four)
Is there a difference in how either performs?
I’m thinking about getting a plug in map as the power gains seem huge for the money.

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2019, 08:35 »
I've had a DTUK box on my GTI for around 2 years now and it has always behaved very well. I had one issue with the wiring harness, but the guys replaced the whole unit with the Bluetooth enabled one under warranty which was great. Several different settings allow you to pick whichever map suits you best. Mine is currently on sport +3 and goes fantastically well, much better than my astra j vxr which had a remap and various hardware making them roughly the same output.
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2019, 09:33 »
I’m thinking about getting a plug in map as the power gains seem huge for the money.
Isn't the M52 different to a dtuk box? It's a plug in obd port update on the M52.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2019, 10:05 »
Isn't the M52 different to a dtuk box? It's a plug in obd port update on the M52.

I thought the M52 map was like the dreamscience ones for fords where you flash it on yourself and vice versa with the handset. It seems you can then use the handset for basic diagnostics afterwards as well.
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2019, 10:23 »

I thought the M52 map was like the dreamscience ones for fords where you flash it on yourself and vice versa with the handset. It seems you can then use the handset for basic diagnostics afterwards as well.
yeah the handset via the obd port which is why is only got one plug 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Lump

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2019, 10:35 »
Ah okay, so just getting my head around this. So the M52 unit is connect, flash and unplug while the DTUK unit remains fixed?

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2019, 10:50 »
Ah okay, so just getting my head around this. So the M52 unit is connect, flash and unplug while the DTUK unit remains fixed?
Spot on   :smiley:

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2019, 11:00 »

For tuning, you basically have 3 options:

Plug and play box - DTUK, Racechip, JB4 etc - they all have 3 sensors you connect which trick the car for more power
Plug in remap - Mountune, BSR, Bluefin - you remap/unmap the car yourself using OBD with a device they supply
Dealer - Revo, APR and other - dealer remaps your car and you have to take it back if you want to remove it

I think that's about right but might be corrected.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Lump

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2019, 11:20 »
Great explanations thank you!
Think I’m looking at the DTUK unit. It has more connections than the RaceChip so I’m assuming it has more information to change accurately?

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2019, 11:39 »

For tuning, you basically have 3 options:

Plug and play box - DTUK, Racechip, JB4 etc - they all have 3 sensors you connect which trick the car for more power
Plug in remap - Mountune, BSR, Bluefin - you remap/unmap the car yourself using OBD with a device they supply
Dealer - Revo, APR and other - dealer remaps your car and you have to take it back if you want to remove it

I think that's about right but might be corrected.
Sounds about right. REVO also offer both the "plug-in" option (SPS3) and a custom Dealer Map.

A word of warning though for cars inside VW warranty. There's lots of bollocks spouted from tuners claiming their maps/boxes cannot be detected, do not fall for it, everything is detectable by VW. Go into any tuning with your eyes totally wide open, and understand the risks involved. It's why I've been trying to do some research on the similarity of the components in the 245 v the R as I feel 310hp from a 245 is quite a jump and could put strain if they aren't capable of it. REVOSP3 is currently my first choice and I'll probably go with that, but I'm still trying to find out about the boost pressures and torque limits the 245 has.

Anyway, VAG cars have two flash 'counters'. The 1st is partially accessible by tuners, but the 2nd is completely inaccessible/encrypted and increments at every use of an external device which alters/changes the state of the ECU.

A VW dealership doesn't search for flags, they only look via ELSA for existing registered flags. Here in the UK, VW AG ask all dealers to run a specific diagnostic report (called SVM) which gets uploaded to the VW AG servers via VAS online. An automated response will be received and if a flag has been found, that flag will be shown and registered to the database. The diagnostic tool has no capability to do this locally. No information about a cars tuning state is held on the car's ROM, it's held centrally at VAG. VW keeps that record centrally of what the count number should be for each VIN (based on how many times it's been plugged into their systems), if the count displayed sits outside the number expected, then it goes into the first flash counter and looks for the TB1 and TD1 errors. When these are flagged, warranties are usually rendered void.

As mentioned, the flash counters serve two different purposes, one counts, one analyses. There is also another bit of the algorithm that analyses 'hardware' modification (tuning boxes and unidentified hardware that’s been plugged into the ECU) which produces a TXD code that is then monitored in the detection algorithm. It’s simple maths which will then flags the appropriate error (TD1, TG1, TE1 and TB1).

:)
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.