Author Topic: Brescia - white worm corrosion  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
Brescia - white worm corrosion
« on: 12 May 2019, 20:00 »
I’ve read a fair bit online about Brescia white worm corrosion (and any diamond cut alloy for that matter). Whilst sealing my wheels this afternoon, I noticed all but the rear driver’s side wheel has a tiny dot which looks like a minuscule blister. It’s ever so slightly raised to the touch and isn’t a stone chip or tar spot (it doesn’t polish off). Is this the first sign of the dreaded white worm?  The car was new in March and has only done 1800 miles & is washed every week. This is the second time I’ve added a wheel sealant - the defects were not there previously. It’s interesting that it’s in pretty much the same location on all three wheels.

Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
Re: Brescia - white worm corrosion
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2019, 20:11 »
It might be worth speaking to the dealer as they may replace them.  If they don't and something happens later on at least they have been made aware of the problem which may help you with a later warranty claim.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2019, 20:17 by TurboTrev »

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2019, 20:16 »
Cheers, given its (within 0.5cm) the exact same spot on three wheels I wondered if it was a manufacturing defect. As long as it doesn’t blister, I don’t mind as it’s barely noticeable.

On the other hand it’s now date/time stamped online, with photos so when I go to VW for a new set of wheels under warranty this time next year they can’t fob me off about it being wear & tear etc. Maybe.  :whistle:
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2019, 20:20 »
Sorry, just edited my reply above again, to find you'd replied to it!!  Anyhow, yes, definitely take it to a dealer to see what they say.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2019, 20:51 »
If, as you’ve said, it’s in the same place on three wheels, it sounds as if what you’re seeing is as a result of a small imperfection in the mould used for casting the wheels when they were manufactured, rather than white worm, and three of your car’s wheels were from the same batch that used that mould.

There’s no tell tale cloudy / milky white appearance under the lacquer clear coat that you get with white worm, which starts when the clear coat becomes damaged and water enters the damaged area and creeps over the metal surface under the clear coat.

You’ve said that those imperfections weren’t there before. They are very small so could it be that they've always been there and you didn’t notice them last time you sealed your wheels?

No harm in raising it with your dealer though.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2019, 21:35 »
Not sure if it's an optical illusion, but under zoom all 3 of those look to have what looks like an impact dent in the middle of the imperfection, looking concave rather than convex, possibly with raised edges, like the furrowing up around the edges of a crater, the concave bit disturbing the straight lines of the machining sweep.

Doesn't look like whiteworm, and it looks like the marks were there prior to lacquer application, which appears normal.

If they weren't all in the same place and the lacquer wasn't intact, i'd be calling stone chip. They look like they've always been there.

As SRGTD says, same place, got to be either mould casting from the same mould with the same imperfectioon, or some kind of punch ejection from the mould that has marked the freshly cast surface and was deep enough to still be there following the machining of the diamond cut surface.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2019, 21:39 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline hepton

• Not said much yet
  • 2017 GTD
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2019, 21:36 »
thats not white worm  :wink:
defect in wheels ...

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2019, 21:38 »
Yes they definitely look like an indentation rather than a bump, but to the touch it feels ever so slightly raised. I’m just going to leave it and keep an eye. If there’s an issue later on, I’ll use the forum for documented evidence when taking it up with VW. At least it’s not grey worm.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2019, 21:40 »
^At least it’s not *white* worm, not grey worm lol. Obviously have tomorrow’s Game of Thrones on the mind!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2019, 22:01 »
^At least it’s not *white* worm, not grey worm lol. Obviously have tomorrow’s Game of Thrones on the mind!

I'll be up an hour early tomorrow (5am!!!) so that no-one can spoil it for me. Expecting big things from tomorrow's episode.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.