Author Topic: Speed Cameras?  (Read 5368 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Speed Cameras?
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2019, 19:30 »
Don't use mirror link.

Use Android Auto or CarPlay (depending whether you have android or apple!)

Waze is brilliant for speed cameras, you can configure all sorts of options around it, including the one I use which is to not make an audible alert unless I am approaching one in excess of the speed limit.

Unlike most it also provides those alerts (and others) even when not actively providing route guidance.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline charlie_cc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2019, 08:19 »
Sorry, yes it's a mk7.5 golf GTi performance.
I've checked & it's got android app & mirror link.
I can get Waze through android app but my mobile doesn't support mirror link.
Not sure how good waze is regarding speed camera notifications?

Waze is excellent with speed cameras, assuming your travelling on a reasonably frequented road (which tends to be where they put the mobile cams anyway).

It's possibly the best as it uses real-time driver reports, so a new camera will show up on your map within a few minutes. I also believe that Google Maps is now using that same data, but I always use Waze so haven't tried it out yet.

including the one I use which is to not make an audible alert unless I am approaching one in excess of the speed limit.

This is how my Waze works, but I'm not sure it's a setting we can change. If so, can you point me in the right direction, I'd like an alert regardless of whether I'm exceeding the speed limit. That would be useful for the cameras where it's variable speed limit.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2019, 08:24 by charlie_cc »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2019, 09:06 »
Google owns Waze... some of the stuff from Waze gets onto Google Maps, but not all - mainly its accidents and road closures, its not the speed cameras!

The options for alerts are in the options config for Waze...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline charlie_cc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2019, 09:12 »
Google owns Waze... some of the stuff from Waze gets onto Google Maps, but not all - mainly its accidents and road closures, its not the speed cameras!

https://9to5google.com/2019/01/19/google-maps-speed-limits-rollout/

"Further, Google Maps is also rolling out the ability to see speed cameras on a much larger basis too. For users in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Russia, Brazil, Mexico, Canada, India, and Indonesia, speed cameras will be marked on the map"

Under cameras, I only have the options "Show on map", "Alert me while driving". I can't see an option to alert me only we exceeding the limit.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2019, 09:24 »
Hmmm you are right, I am sure it used to let you choose...

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2019, 09:25 »

Only a matter of time before it's not free then...
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2019, 09:32 »

Getting to like Waze, Fred, but I can’t find the options for how speed camera warnings are presented. Can you show me where, please?

I like to have Waze on the Infotainment screen, for the up to date road hazard info, and the VW Nav on the digital dash, for the Nav info.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2019, 10:19 »

I'd say its only a matter of time before Waze gets fully integrated into Google Maps and Waze is deleted. They've owned it since June 2013 though.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 13 May 2019, 10:21 »

Getting to like Waze, Fred, but I can’t find the options for how speed camera warnings are presented. Can you show me where, please?

As I said above, they seem to have deleted all of the options for it. It now only lets you be audibly warned if you exceed the speed limit....

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 13 May 2019, 10:39 »

I'd say its only a matter of time before Waze gets fully integrated into Google Maps and Waze is deleted. They've owned it since June 2013 though.

I much prefer the look of Google Maps as opposed to Waze on Carplay. Waze looks like it should have spoken directions in the voice of those annoying adults on the Haribo adverts  :grin:

Surprised they have monetised it for directions on phone apps yet so maybe waiting to integrate Waze first.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey