Author Topic: Updating Firmware/Maps  (Read 3157 times)

Offline Jssweeney

• Just got here
Updating Firmware/Maps
« on: 01 November 2015, 14:51 »
I'm completely new to the modern way of altering stuff on cars & I'm about to update both Firmware & Maps on the RNS-510. This is a novices attempt to understand & learn more about his car. I've acquired all that I need to proceed..

I'm currently using 3810 & intending to install 4120 then 5xxx. Once I've updated the firmware I'm then going to update the maps to V13 Western Europe. This will be a rolling commentary on what difficulties to expect or can come across when updating the stereo firmware. It'll also provide tips.

*Since posting* (NOTE: DO NOT PUT KEYS IN IGNITION NOR START THE CAR) I've whacked the CD with 4120 Firmware into the unit (detected fine) & is now installing. Shall check up on it shortly...

Update #2: CD's were rejected by my RNS-510. Errors, file transfer etc. Used the SWL Revovery (unofficial) CD to get back onto previous version for re-attempt. Switched to DVD format and so far so good - Gateway now updating... (fingers crossed).

Update #3: Firmware update successful. Bit of a rocky road but I'm there! Just need to update the maps now...

Update #4: Burning latest V13 Western Europe Map pack to a Verbatim DVD+R DL (Dual Layer) 8.5GB disc as normal DVD discs (4.7GB) aren't big enough. I've also noticed that my Rear Camera has disabled itself so will be re-enabling that via VCDS hopefully.

Update #5: So since updating the Firmware & installing the V13 Western Maps (Which installed perfectly but took forever) a couple of days ago. I've noticed that my Reversing Camera has gone into limbo and is non-existent anymore. I've also noticed that I have NO nav or audio display on the MFD.

I managed to get in contact with someone local'ish who had Vag-Com/VCDS etc and we've managed to get all of the above issues on the last update working again (Phew).

• To fix the Rear Camera not displaying on the RNS-510 we did the following: Un-ticked RVC from CAN gateway 19 coding (apparently must only be ticked in RVC systems i.e Passat's). Looked in Coding in Module 56 for "Back-up Camera Low Installed" & ticked it. Followed by a reset on the RNS-510. This fixed my issue, it might not fix yours.

Summary: I'm going to suggest that you prepare a little before delving into updates yourself. Make sure you have decent discs CD/DVD for the Firmware updates & know that you'll need DVD+R DL (Dual Layer) discs for the maps (BURN ALL AT LOW SPEEDS). The updates are great and I've noticed a massive difference in the RNS-510 unit as well as the maps. Be prepared for features to either not display or remove themselves. Have someone/somewhere avail with VCDS to rectify any issues after updating.

« Last Edit: 03 November 2015, 15:20 by Jssweeney »
United Grey MK6 5dr DSG • DCC • RNS-510/Sat-Nav • Dynaudio • Rear Camera • Bluetooth • Luxury Pack

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Updating Firmware/Maps
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2015, 11:55 »
Nice write up :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity