Author Topic: Anyone come from a BMW m135i/m140i  (Read 5311 times)

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
Anyone come from a BMW m135i/m140i
« on: 22 April 2019, 20:23 »
As mentioned on a couple of other threads I am considering a TCR.

Just wondered if anyone has come from one of these BMW’s any what their thoughts are, either positive or negative?

At the moment there is over 10k off the m140 which would be an easy replacement for my m135 but I am tempted by the TCR.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: Anyone come from a BMW m135i/m140i
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2019, 21:56 »
The deals out there on the 140 are crazy. It’s the last hatch of its kind too and the TCR deals will look poor in comparison so I’d get the 140 if you’ve liked the 135.

Personally, the 140 wasn’t big enough for me with the restricted room in the back. It’s one of the cars that I’ve driven that just didn’t really do it for me. Think that’s probably down to how much it’s been talked up. It did sound great as the saleswoman drove off in it though.

Presume you’ve seen the pictures circulating of the new 135 with no camouflage on? That’ll land very soon I would have thought.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2019, 22:30 »
It does sound good, but not as good as before the new regs.

I’ve seen the pictures of the new one but expect a price increase plus little to no discount in the short term making it pretty expensive in comparison to the current one.

Funny you mention the space in the back as that’s one of the plus points of the golf that’s making me consider it.
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Craig

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2019, 00:56 »
Hi mate

To give a direct comparison. I’ve just sold my M140 pre PPF car. Mine was a shadow edition and well specced. The B58 is a masterpiece. Sounds epic and pulls like a train. Fuel efficient too. The auto is lovely and changes quickly for a torque converter. Great blips when changing down and great pops and crackles from the exhaust. The drive train really is brilliant. Interior is lovely, build quality is lovely and customer service is lovely. Unlike VW. What really let it down for me was the chassis. Harsh ride and well poor back road ability. It is well suited to the smooth autobahn that’s for sure and not a average UK back road. Really liked mine and was a ideal family car but it just was not special enough for me. I like special.  So I’m on the hunt for a Clubsport S. Hoping that will tick my box.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2019, 16:09 »
Not up to speed on golfs. Is the Clubsport S the 2 seater?

Apart from lack of seats would it differ much from the TCR? 
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Craig

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2019, 18:33 »
Two very different cars mate. Lighter with different parts and more powerful engine.

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2019, 21:04 »
I had two over the past 6 years, a couple of niggles aside (as with everything) they were fantastic and unique uber-hatches.
'18 245PP DSG

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2019, 22:42 »
Any regrets about moving from them?  What model do you have at the moment?
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline TCR

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2019, 23:50 »
Ive come from a 135i coupe, awaiting delivery of a TCR, I will keep you posted but if your looking at getting into a new TCR all the allocated build slots have been taken up as they due to start production of the golf mk8 in September.

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2019, 17:30 »
Any regrets about moving from them?  What model do you have at the moment?

I've a MK7.5 245PP now.

Regrets, no - sure they're very different, but equally fun in their own way.

Basically I couldn't decide what I wanted next, I couldn't lay my hands on a manual M3 Comp pack for love nor money and a GTI is always my 'go to' car in times of need. I was very pleasantly surprised how much better it was than my MK5 too.

I miss RWD traction (mine had an LSD), it was brutally good at laying down power and anyone who buys into the Internet myth that they're unusable in winter is a lead footed clown or on the wrong tyres. I miss skidding it too.

The kids appreciate the extra room in the back. It's naturally better on fuel and much like the M135is, they're relatively discreet and classless. 
'18 245PP DSG