Author Topic: New onto forum  (Read 1812 times)

Offline College

• Not said much yet
New onto forum
« on: 27 July 2020, 12:01 »
Hi, always wanted a golf GTI & almost ready to buy. Looking at 18-19 reg performance model with Brescia alloys. Hoping for a DSG, are they better than a manual? Thanks for any replies in advance, hope everyone well 👍🏼🚘
2019 GTi Performance Mk7.5, Dsg,
Brescia Alloys, 5 dr, (Indium Grey)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: New onto forum
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2020, 13:32 »
Some prefer manual, some prefer dsg. Lots more ramblings about it over on the Mk7 forum

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=117.0

There is no right or wrong, it's down to personal preference really. Although VW is slowly removing the manual gearbox option from the performance models in its range. Have a drive in a few and see which you like best  :smiley:
7.5 GTD

Offline College

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2020, 15:18 »
Cool thanks, looking forward to trying a few out. Been looking at some people saying ride is hard on 19’s instead of standard 18’ Parker’s. So I’ll try both although likely end up with Brescias as personally prefer the look of the car with them. 👍🏼

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2020, 16:59 »
I had 19s on my PP and found the ride perfectly acceptable but I think it depends on what you expect and local road conditions. As for DSG, as Guzzle said, personal preference. I have DSG now but had manual on my PP. Loved driving the manual, no faffing about and great fun but, if you're regularly in stop start traffic I can see why it wouldn't be so much fun. The DSG is a more relaxing drive but in my view has too many modes, can be reluctant to set off quickly when you need it to and if you put it into sport mode, too aggressive. Having said that, lots of people love it. I don't but I do enjoy the drive. If I changed my car again (unlikely for a while) I would consider another manual but wouldn't discount a DSG. How's that for sitting on the fence? :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline College

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2020, 17:15 »
Clear as mud lol, getting the idea I’ll need to decide myself as it’s a personal thing with good/bad with both

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2020, 17:34 »
I don't think you can go wrong either way particularly as you seem open minded. Perhaps the right car/deal for you will come along regardless of the gearbox? I would just get out there and look at the cars and see where your heart takes you, that's how I see these cars, definitely a heart over head decision.

And welcome to the forum :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline College

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2020, 17:53 »
Appreciated thanks, seems a friendly bunch on here from what I’ve seen so far. 👍🏼

Offline College

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2020, 20:33 »
Right let’s get serious....... Is it width getting a upgraded leather seat version if one comes along? Worried it’ll be awful in the hot weather???? Mind you we don’t get much sun ☀️ in the UK anyway... seen a black and grey one for sale with leather upgrade which is why I’m asking. Thanks as always 👍🏼🚘

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2020, 13:00 »
I’ve had leather for the past 2 cars (over 13 years - I keep them for a while) but chose not to on the GTI as I like the tartan cloth.
Plus points of leather - ease of cleaning if kids spill crap (not an issue for me anymore)
Negatives - needs periodic treatment (not really a massive issue) and additional cost.
Never worried about stickiness in hot weather - that’s what air con is for👍
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline College

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 02 August 2020, 14:16 »
Thanks Adam, my youngest is 13 so spills unlikely 👍🏼. Tartan is iconic so will see what comes up for sale in next couple of weeks to get me into a gti eventually, can’t wait. Just ordered 2 number plate surrounds and a rather lovely mug & stickers. I’m 43, but feel like a 18 year old again!