Author Topic: Starting Issues  (Read 896 times)

Offline ju571n

• GTI forum regular
Starting Issues
« on: 23 July 2014, 22:42 »
Having major issues which have been intermittent for quite some time. When turning over, sometimes, it seems like a lazy starter/flat battery. But most of the time it fire straight away.
All of these things have been done at various time to try and resolve the issue. Only for it to then play up later on.

So first thing check earths, fit new earth. Rig up another battery for earth, Jump start from other car and issue still remains.

Ignition voltage is all correct, had a new ignition switch fitted.

New battery was fitted due to possible loss of cranking power. Car lives on a trickle charger/battery conditioner.

I smashed the clutch about 2 months ago, whipped the box off new clutch in refitted starter and the problem has been slightly worse. Along with my father in-law (who is a mechanic) eliminated it to the starter again. Some times it would start, sometimes it would barley turn over as if battery was flat, other times the starter wouldn't engage you could hear it spinning against the flywheel. I took it off and the place I use fitted a new solenoid along with some other stuff. Refitted it tonight and it did start, but it was making a weird squarking noise. Girlfriend said there was sparks, so I had a look and there was some sparks, that looked like they was squeezing out of the bell housing covers, bottom and rear, and was engine speed related. The starter was also getting really hot. I think that after it was starting, it wasn't flying back in and sitting idle, instead spinning at engine speed.

After turning it off and then back on again a couple of times, it more and more sluggish to turn over and again now, will not start.

Any ideas would be more then appreciated. I am at the end of my tether with this thing. It has had just about every nut bolt and part replaced, yet still refuses to start correctly.

Please help before I cry. I have only done 150mile in it since xmas.....  :cry: