Author Topic: 1.8 k-jet into 1.3 mk1 golf cl  (Read 3970 times)

Offline celyth

• Not said much yet
1.8 k-jet into 1.3 mk1 golf cl
« on: 13 December 2009, 21:46 »
hey all, hows it going?

my gf wants a k-jet rocco engine in her mk1 golf cl, so i need info on what i need, i got the engine and a scrapped rocco here to get the loom ect, havent got a fuse box tho :S

how much of the loom do i need to change and do i need the rocco fusebox or can i modify the golf one? also any info on exhaust mods and anything else will b great, allready been told i have to move the mounting on the left to the other spot.

on the other hand though not totally sure, wht the engine i have is like coz it over haeted and replaced head ect but never got as far as running it after so if anyone has a 1.8 k-jet engine for sale, p.m me :D

cheers

cel
« Last Edit: 13 December 2009, 21:52 by celyth »

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
Re: 1.8 k-jet into 1.3 mk1 golf cl
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2009, 22:32 »
8v rocco engine? if its overheated have you checked head for warping? youll need fuel pumps both intank and under car iirc, is your fuse box bullet or spade type? youll need all engine loom off rocco including ecu i think
do a search mate but if your going to do the 8v conversion it maybe better to go 16v power?

you really need head skimmed at least to be sure of a good h/gasket fit  :wink:

rubjohnny will see this and tell you exactly what you need give it 24hrs

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2009, 09:14 »
main issue is you have to chop off the engine mount bracket on the driver side chassis leg, flip upside down then reweld it further back.

you'll need:
1. complete linkage inc stick, rocco stick isnt same as MK1 (bent) but i think it should fit? might be best to source a proper MK1 tintop or cabby 5 speed setup to be safe
2. steering rack
3. engine + box
4. complete fuel system, check the fuel lines they like to rot away.
5. check your fusebox vs the rocco one, if its the same engine loom will swap over, otherwise you need to replace the entire car loom. loom will work but some lengths differ plus connections to rear lights may not plug in, so biut o choppy n splicey, not hard tho, colours will match. dash clock plugs on a rocco are different but the clocks swap into mk1 dash with minor mods
6. check the fuel tank, if it has a lift pump you're laughing, it'll drop right into your old tank. if not you need to either source a mk1 tintop gti tank or find a lift pump setup off a later cabby/rocco
7. need the gearbox and driveshafts, easier to just swap the entire hubs across with shafts still attached. Plus then you also get the front brakes which will be worth having.  Get the servo and MC too and if yours doesnt have the crossbar setup grab the lot!
8. rocco rear beam will have a roll bar, and it'll have a front one too. I'd swap all that over, you'll probably need the bones as well as they'll have holes for the roll bar, good excuse to redo all the bushes n balljoints.

think thats about it really
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline celyth

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2009, 20:55 »
cheers for the info, bit more than i expected, had hoped it was just mounting, wiring and exhaust, oh and fuel pump :S

might have to look into gettin a 1.8 gti mk1 lump istead

Offline celyth

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2009, 21:00 »
was hoping to keep the original golf brake setup as she's gunna have 13's on it and dont want clearence issues by going for bigger brakes

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #5 on: 15 December 2009, 10:48 »
MK1 1.8 engine is the same as scirocco, the mount needs to be moved either way. the problem is 1.0-1.3 MK1 have the mount in a different spot to 1.5-1.8 models

the scirocco brakes are the same diameter, just a bit thicker + bigger pad area. 13" wheels will still fit!
edit: thinkming about it the rocco will have the later type carriers, so that migfht be an issue. easy test, fit a wheel off the MK1 to the scirocco, see if it goes on.  If the wheel catches the big hoop over the front of the caliper, go for early MK1 or MK3 Polo carriers instead, they'll deffo work.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2009, 10:50 by rubjonny »

Offline celyth

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2009, 15:25 »
have tried the wheels she has on the rocco and they dont clear, my allycats didnt clear on my rocco either, had to use 10mm spacer and grind awa some of the caliper :s

gunna start stripping what i need off the rocco this week so i'm sure i'll be seding you some more Q's lol hope u dont mind

cheers for the help

cel

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #7 on: 15 December 2009, 15:30 »
yeah the roccos have that bigg hoop bit rround the front of the carrier, most annoying! as I say, MK3 Polo or earlier MK1 1.5-1.8 carrier will do the job, doesnt have that hoop on so loads more clearance. the rocco calipers will still fit these too, or just use the ones from the donour. just make sure they have 'VWII' on the front of them, then you know you can fit the vented 239s on there :)

Offline celyth

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 15 December 2009, 17:01 »
cool ,cheers

just taken the loom out of both and the fuse boxes are the same, so ive just seperated the fuel and lifter pump part from the rear end to join onto the plug :)

do i have to change the rack and master cylinder? or is that just for upgrading?

cheers

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #9 on: 15 December 2009, 17:24 »
the rack you need to change as it wont have the brackets on it for the gear linkage, plus need to swap the stick etc as above as its all different at the engine side. master cyl etc you can leave all the old gubbins in, but personally I'd not be happy leaving the rubbish braking system on there with all that extra power!

edit: one thing i forgot to mention, the rocco is liekly to have the brakle light switch on the pedal box, whereas the cl probably has it in the engine bay. you'll need to swap the rocco pedal box or switch to the mk1, or swap the mk1 brake light switch back over to the rocco engine loom. it'll become clear once you look at it hopefully :)
« Last Edit: 15 December 2009, 17:26 by rubjonny »