Author Topic: building track car  (Read 10370 times)

Offline Adam-D

• GTI forum regular
building track car
« on: 12 October 2004, 18:27 »
any advice etc?

need suspension
a trip to the bodyshop
roll cage
seats and harneses
helmet
air filter, exhaust
and i would like the sun roof removed< is this possible

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
Re: building track car
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2004, 11:40 »
JV and I are doing this next year.

The good thing here is that, if you're building this just for track days (rather than competing in a race series) you can get on the track RIGHT NOW!!! and carry out your mods over time if you want.

First things first is a helmet - I've never been on a track day where the let you on a track without one, so invest there first.

A fire extinguisher to keep in the car is a wise purchase, just make sure that it comes with brackets that they are man enough to keep it in place in the event of an 'incident' ;)

As for the rest, the order in which you do it is up to you. Suspension will allow you to maximise your speed with your current engine (by increasing cornering speeds) but won't increase the speed at which you arrive at the corners.

Zorst and filter will give you more grunt on the straights, but ifyou're still running stock suspension, you aren't going to run any quicker through the twisty bits.

Seats/harnesses are nice, and will make the day less of a strain on your back, and should you have a shunt will protect you further.

A cage will offer improved safety in the event of a big off, but you're likely to get flagged by a marshall if you're driving hard enough to provoke a roll, long before it happens!!!

The best people for all this stuff under one roof is Demon Tweaks, as they are quite focussed towards track day gear/entry to motorsport etc. Give them a call and get a catalogue.

See you on the track next year buddy  ;D

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2004, 12:16 »
I would remove all un-necessary stuff, seats carpet etc. Get a good fixed bucket seat, not a recliner. A helmet and some overalls, most circuits like hands/legs covered.
Yes the sunroof can be removed, you will have to get someone to weld in a sheet of metal. So thats part of yer bodyshop visit.

Wouldnt bother with flash alloys and low profiles to begin with get some crabby steels.

Try a few circuits then get improving!
Suspension first then engine.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Adam-D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2004, 21:34 »
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13609.0

this is my beast so far :)

am gonna get a helmet  ;D

i dont plan in going off as im pretty much a a safe driver i plan my lines know about how to carry speed
i am no way the best driver and have much to learn :)

cheers peeps
a guy's uncle may be giving me a good bodyshop quote  ;D
which is nice

free

« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2004, 02:45 »
u can rivit a pice of mettel were thr sunroof was, wel thats what the pros do

Offline Adam-D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2004, 09:12 »
was what i was thinking
get a sheet of steel remove sunroof
put a line if bonder round the hole and rivet the steel on.

also the little raised bit in the rear that the lower part of the seat sits on.
this is not need so this cant be removed cant it? ie its not structual is it??

Offline red corrado

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2004, 12:39 »
I built my golf 90 spec 1.8 8valve as a track/daily driver uprated suspension from Raceland,Drilled and groved discs with standard road pads (warm up ouicker and dont squeal as much) all round.Fitted a half roll cage fromwww.rollcentreracing.com[url=http://]]]www.rollcentreracing.comhttp:// which was about? ?200 Safety first !.k&n panel filter and the rest is totaly standard apart from a set off 3 point harnesses,cheapest helmet there was from demon tweaks,and run a set off scabby 16v alloys as my track rims.Would advise taking? a set off rims as some surfaces can be realy brutal on tyres especialy concrete air fields (Elvington) York for example.Don't understand why you want to remove the sunroof though as it is not a requirement off any off the track day companys.Don't be fooled in to thinking you need a really powerfull car as a small light nimble car will be quicker round a track than some off the more powerfull cars around,its all about learning your own and your cars limits.

Offline Adam-D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2004, 20:06 »
cheers bud

the sunroof is ultimatly dead weight and in time will leak, the mechanism is shot anyway
so might as well get rid of it

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #8 on: 17 October 2004, 17:20 »
cut out all spare metal? spare wheel recess? weld a plate over it? get perspex not glass? etc etc

Offline Adam-D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 17 October 2004, 18:15 »
cheers mate not sure bout spare wheel well
proberly will ditch it

and am looking at fiberglass boot bonnet and perspex windows

need them 2nd has the car will be done on a budget

as and when money allows