Author Topic: Golfyste's road legal mk4 "project track car"  (Read 114217 times)

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
Cheers dude!  :cool:
Yeah get them fitted should make a massive difference!

R-tech custom remap - k04-001- 250bhp/311ftlb  :grin:

"Project track car" has begun :grin:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=247202.0

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
Ok another little update!
I got my oil cooler pipes made up.

The parts came that I needed to modify my catch can. Going to run the outlet to the tip use the vacuum to keep the crankcase pressure down instead of having to modify the can itself and use bigger pipework.

Oil cooler pipes fitted

And also modifying the catch can pipework

I also got the heatshield and air filter back in and got my other headlight fitted.

And today I bolted the downpipe on, ordered a magnetic sump plug and oil filter magnets. I just need to refit the rear section of the exhaust as
It decided to fall off when I was twisting the exhaust so I need a better clamp! And then it can started!
Getting very close now!!

Also on another note. I still have water coming into the rear passenger footwell after changing the door seal so I'm going to remove the inner door panel and try resealing it to make sure it's not that!

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
Killing the little updates lately :).

Magnetic plug and filter plugs came so threw them on :).

Got her on all fours for the first time in months and months.

And also I managed to get a bargain on ebay!!
Direnza high flow radiator for £56 :).

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
front end is coming off again then lol

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
Haha yeah I will do it when I fit the k300 and gearbox :).
Now everything is done it's only a half an hour job to get the front end off :).

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
Re: Golfyste's road legal mk4 "project track car"
« Reply #355 on: 14 March 2015, 23:04 »
Ok it's been aaages since I updated this!
The main reason it's been so long is because this happened!

I went and bought myself a house. Been quite busy working on it and doing bits and with me living on my own it's took a lot of my time!

I did a lot but the relevant bits include painting the garage door, making myself a bench and a wheel rack! Haha

Ok back to the car!
It's been a bit of a long and confusing process but that will make more sense when I get to the end of this!

One of the next things I did was get the car started!
It started quite nicely and I warmed it up and then drained the oil.

The next job was changing/upgrading the rear brake callipers, discs and lines. I got most of it done but doing so I broke one te old solid lines! So I decided I had to make new lines and then some custom braided lines for the ends which took a couple of weeks.

I then modified my fmic outlet pipe to make fitting the bumper easier :).

I then got the bumper fitted :). Fits quite well for a rep!

Also made some black mesh grills and got them fitted

Next thing was my mate brought around my finished carbon bonnet!  :).

I got the latch fitted and adjusted and also had to cut holes for the washers jets etc.

Sadly the bonnet doesn't line up 100% (sits a little proud in the middle) but function over form! I may fit some bonnet raiser to make it look like it supposed to be like that haha

Lines up if pushed

We all love carbon :).

Next up finished the read brake lines.

Then I bled the system and the abs pump.

I also bought a new battery!
Which are apparently the bees knees so hoping it copes well :).

Also gave it a clean.

I've also done quite a few other little bits but nothing important really.

Now this is where the complicated stuff starts!

1 step forward. 10 steps

Burning loads of oil. Chucks puffs out while driving but ploomes it out on tickover.
Done compressions tests.
Only have 115psi on C1
Adding oil makes no difference
135 on C2&3, 150 with a little oil.
145 on cylinder 4

When driving the oil buring got so bad it started killing plugs and misfiring as soon as I did a little slow driving. No misfiring if I kept the revs up while bedding it in hard between 2k and 4k
Removed the plugs 1,2&3 and they are black as hell but dry. No 4 was soaking wet. Looking into C4 I can literally see it swimming in oil.

I dunno where I stand really i dunno why the rings aren't sealing or are them compressions right on a non bed in engine? Although 1 is substantially low compared to the others.

Wondering if the bored are oval'd or something. I've no idea.

After speaking to the lads on Facebook I'm gonna start stripping the begone tomorrow and take loads of pics and send them to JP. I have a feeling the block is knackered and needs boring out.

We will see.
Hopefully I can get it sorted soonish!
I'll try keep this up to date from now on.
I left it a whole as I didn't k is what was happening with the smoke!

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
« Reply #356 on: 16 March 2015, 00:55 »
 Ok little update
I was pretty depressed last night but managed to find a new wave of motivation today!

Stripped the head off

Cylinder 1 has corroded while it's been stood. Which is causing the low compression on there. Others haven't bed in very well and then bore washed due lack of compression causing it to run rich.
It's gonna need machining etc.
I'm trying to keep my chin up.
The engine was going to come back out anyway to fit the 6 speed box, k300 and relentless mani so I'll just have to do that now and bed it in with the k300 fitted.

Cylinder is knackered

Cylinder 4 was swimming in so much oil it burnt itself clean. Can't see it here but oil was everywhere

Lots of overfueling due to lack of compression.

I think I'm going to strip the block down and take the block to jp.
I either need to get this bored out and fit some 83mm Pistons or get another block and just get him to home it for the standard Pistons.

On a lighter note. A pic of my rsr's haha

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #357 on: 26 March 2015, 18:54 »
Ah not good news mate, although that was the only real thing it could have been...

At least you can get on with the other stuff as well, also I'll send you a PM in a bit

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
« Reply #358 on: 26 March 2015, 19:35 »
Yeah plans have been made.
Gonna take the block to jp at jnl to get honed and checked over.
Already got it in bits. And also got other things I need to for so gonna try get it all done at once and have it ready for mapping when I next refit the engine so it's just a case of running it in :).

Probably won't update about the engine untill it's all in and started though haha.

I did fit my direnza high flow radiator today though :).

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
« Reply #359 on: 11 April 2015, 00:02 »
Had a couple of deliveries. Got some more running in oil, relentless mani fittings, oil pressure and yelp gauges with sandwich plate and a s3 front Arb.

Also been busy in the garage.
Everybody loves organised spanners right? Haha

Made myself a oil catchy can for the bike :).

I then completely Stripped the old engine of everything I needed and bagged it all up. Also cleaned a few engine parts in prep for taking them down to jp including the sump [emoji23]

I then got everything down south and stayed at my girlfriends this week driving to jp's daily and we set about rebuilding my engine.

Some nice new honing ;).

Also found the head was terrible!
15/20 valves didn't seal and a couple of the valve seals on cylinder 4 were shot. So set about stripping it and sorting it out!

After 3 busy days (would have been 2 if it wasn't for a messing up of parts being delivered) the engine was done! :)
Got it home yesterday and back into the garage!

So that a big step complete!

Just need to add a little more paint, paint the gearbox, get a 6 speed clutch and flywheel from aks and I can set about getting it all fitted! :).

Also got another exciting delivery coming shortly which I will update on when it arrives :D
« Last Edit: 26 April 2015, 20:39 by golfyste »