Author Topic: Help needed anyone please!  (Read 4261 times)

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
Help needed anyone please!
« on: 27 May 2007, 12:50 »
Hey everyone.

A short while ago I posted about the electric windows on our GTI going down while the car was locked and not being used. We have not paid much attention to the problem since it seemed minor until today.
This is how low the windows were when my mother got to the car today:

We dont want the car anywhere near a stealer and have tested the rollback feature and everything seems ok. But we are worried because it is nearing our winter season and also beacuse of possible theft.
Please help. I have reset the cars setting through he highline computer and it went away for a short while. I dont have VAG-Com cables either.

Help would be appreciated today even.  :undecided:
thanks in advance
Mike

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
Re: Help needed anyone please!
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2007, 12:52 »
Just another thing I thought i would mention. We clean our cars with a High pressure Jet cleaner. It seems the car does this a day or few after it has been washed. Could this be a reason?

Will post pics of the shiny car tomorrow :evil:

Mike

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline symonkey1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2007, 16:03 »
Is the car not still under warranty - id have it in like a shot!

TeddyKGB

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2007, 16:41 »
You're gonna have to bite the bullet abd get it in ASAP

And shame on you for using a jet wash :angry:

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2007, 07:58 »
Why shame on me? I still clean it by hand with Hot Wax. Just use for spraying under the arches and to get rid of the soap. The jet cleaner works wonders.

I will be calling VW about this today. Really worried (we live in SA where car theft is common)  :sick:
I just figured because the engine bay gets a bit wet too it may be causing problems with the electronics.

So it will have to go in to the stealers? Cos you do realise they will fix this and break something else?
Oh well.

Thanks all

Join our group now!

Phil mcavity

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2007, 08:34 »
Nowt wrong with a hand jet wash????????? it shouldnt cause the probs your having, just dont put it threw a car wash!! :cry:

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2007, 08:47 »
Hell NO!!! None of our cars have nor will ever go near a carwash.
Still confused. Why not use a jetwash? Its a Bosch High pressure cleaner.

Obviously i know you never consentrate the blast cos it will take the paint off. But we use it standing far away from the car. Besides that it makes cleaning the honeycomb grill much easier.

Please explain...

Join our group now!

TeddyKGB

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2007, 14:01 »
I would never jet or car wash my golf - even standing a fair distance you can still knacker the paint work - take my dads Passat - it's about 4 years old and the alloys are badly yellowed due to using a power wash (and that is a fair distance away). If it does that to your alloys then what's it doing to the paint :sick:

Thanks but I'll stick with a hose and a bucket o' hot wax  :smug:

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2007, 15:53 »
Sorry guys. But maybe he was using borehole water to clean his car? That makes alloys go yellow :nerd:

Sorry but Im gonna stick to cleaning it with the jet washer.

Mike

Join our group now!

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2007, 17:00 »
Using a jet washer at any distance isn't good for the Monza's. Even if you only have the slightest of blemishes on the alloys the pressure washer forces its way under the blemish and can lift the laquer from underneath :shocked:

As for the paintwork - well if you are using a jet washer and cleaning dirt off your car then you are asking for it. The dirt on cars is abrasive in itself and using a power washer that relies upon the pressure to wash the car simply forces the abrasive dirt against the paint before pushing it along the surface and eventually washing away.
The only comparison I can draw is sandblasting where air is used in conjunction with abrasive particles to take off the top layers of floors/walls/paint - you name it. The only difference is that you are using pressurised water and the particles are already on the car.

HAND WASH ONLY if you value your cars gleaming paintwork and alloys :wink:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG