Author Topic: 2005 Golf GTI 2.0 TFSI Oil Sensor Workshop Fault  (Read 7902 times)

Offline 06hirons

• Just got here
2005 Golf GTI 2.0 TFSI Oil Sensor Workshop Fault
« on: 28 March 2013, 11:01 »
Hi,

Recently started getting this problem on start up on my mk5 golf gti. Orange Oil can flashes with 'oil sensor workshop' then a beep.

Oil level is fine, so I am assuming there is some kind of sensor fault.

Scanned it with VCDS which showed the following:

Address 17: Instruments        Labels: 1K0-920-xxx-17.lbl
   Part No: 1K6 920 960 D
   Component: KOMBIINSTRUMENT VDD 0812 
   Coding: 0001403
   Shop #: WSC 00399 067 57207
   VCID: 30650E19A338729

2 Faults Found:
00003 - Control Module
            014 - Defective
00562 - Sensor for Oil Level/Temperature (G266)
            010 - Open or Short to Plus

I'm no expert, but assuming the wiring from oil sensor goes to cluster, hence the cluster fault. There seems to be alot of information based on the mk4 platform, but not many people have mentioned fault on mk5.

Can I just code out the sensor or am I best to change sensor with next oil change? Any advice or information welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re: 2005 Golf GTI 2.0 TFSI Oil Sensor Workshop Fault
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2013, 19:10 »
the wiring from the sensor on the underside of the sump is exposed and vulnerable to snagging, that would be my first check. then replace the sensor.

on the other hand there is also a "control module - defective" message there. i've seen that a few times on various cars with no other symptoms and everything working fine (immobiliser, dash lights etc.) but if the wiring and the sensor are okay i guess it is possible the instrument cluster itself has an internal fault which is giving the oil level warning.

Offline 06hirons

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2013, 08:25 »
Thanks for your reply Topher.

I am booked into Midlands VW next week so I will get them to have a look.

Is it possible to code the sensor out?

Thanks once again.

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2013, 19:53 »
Yeah i'm pretty sure it can be coded out on the mk5 golf, think its just certain audis and vw passats that won't let you. It'll most likely be me that looks at it for you next week anyway I tend to handle that sort of work.

Offline charlie

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2013, 19:59 »
Yeah i'm pretty sure it can be coded out on the mk5 golf, think its just certain audis and vw passats that won't let you. It'll most likely be me that looks at it for you next week anyway I tend to handle that sort of work.
looks like your motor is in good hands :smiley:
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline 06hirons

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2013, 11:29 »
looks like your motor is in good hands :smiley:

Yes, been there recently and was impressed. Hence why I am booked in for some more bits, definitley recommend Midland VW.

Offline 06hirons

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2013, 12:31 »
Just to conclude this thread.

This was fixed yesterday at Midland VW. The sensor had just worked itself loose, reconnected and fault disappeared.

Great service from Midlands VW once again.