Author Topic: Powder coating alloys  (Read 1661 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Powder coating alloys
« on: 29 March 2021, 21:06 »
Hi all, quick q's about powder coating the VW diamond cut alloys

1) is there anywhere that can powder coat just the bit that is currently polished? I have Brescias, and I've seen some that have been coated completely black, and they just don't look good. I'm thinking of just coating the front face gunmetal and leaving the black black

2) Does that sort of thing hurt trade in value that much?

Cheers

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Powder coating alloys
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2021, 21:59 »
Possible yes, plenty of examples of two colour powder coating out there. Whether it's a repaint of the whole lot to do it, i don't know.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2021, 22:49 »
I've had rims powdercoated as you are asking for. But they tend to read the whole alloy as they normally still dip them to remove the lacquer (and so the whole powdercoat). Had one set done in black chrome (basically painted black then the face just done in silver with slight blend down the sides of the spokes). The other was shadow chrome (which is as you mention, all black with face done in anthracite/gunmetal).

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2021, 22:51 »
Forum member GolfTi had their diamond cut Austin’s powder coated in a two colour effect and IMHO they looked really good - link to thread below;

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=286595.msg2622408#msg2622408

I think most wheel refurb places would want to strip the entire wheel back to the bare alloy, rather than just work on the face of the wheel as it’d be more time and cost effective to do the whole wheel than just re-doing the face and having to be ultra careful not to damage the non diamond cut (black) sections.

With stripping and refinishing the entire wheel in two colours, it’d be necessary to mask up once the primer and first colour (black) had been applied, to protect those black areas from overspray of the colour to be used on the face of the spokes and rim of the wheel that were originally polished / diamond cut and to ensure a ‘sharp edge’ and no colour bleeding where one colour meets the other. It’s that precision masking up that I dare say would be quite time consuming that would add to the normal refurb cost.

Would a two colour powder coat refurb affect trade in value? If it’s to the standard of GolfTi’s Austin’s alloys, I’d say probably not, although a dealer will always look for reasons / excuses to offer a low trade in value. It might also depend on whether the car’s being traded in at a VW or non VW dealer and the age of the car when the time comes to sell. If the car’s ‘young’ enough to go on a VW dealer’s forecourt then they may probably want or expect the wheels to be in the original factory finish and if they aren’t, they may reduce their trade in offer. If it’s an older car and a non-VW dealer, then they probably won’t care.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2021, 17:29 »
Sorry to hijack the thread.. but can I feel up the trade in value bit..
got 2 alloys that need refurb.. debating whether to store all 4 and buy replacements or simply get refurbed. Do dealers ask if they have been refurbed, wondering if they do if they are diamond cut do to the limited times they can be refurbished.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2021, 17:53 »
Sorry to hijack the thread.. but can I feel up the trade in value bit..
got 2 alloys that need refurb.. debating whether to store all 4 and buy replacements or simply get refurbed. Do dealers ask if they have been refurbed, wondering if they do if they are diamond cut do to the limited times they can be refurbished.

I’ve never been asked this by dealers at trade-in time.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Dubbin

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2021, 19:45 »
I've been told by two companies that two colour powder coating is not possible due to the way the powder is applied and oven baked. What they can do though is powder coat the whole wheel in black and then mask off and silver spray paint the diamond faces. This obviously increases costs...
2013 Golf Mk7 GTI PP, DSG, Pana Sunroof, ACC, 5 Door

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2021, 20:44 »
Duplicate post, ignore.  Mods - can you delete this post please (actually, why can't we delete posts, on most forums the poster can?)
« Last Edit: 30 March 2021, 20:48 by TurboTrev »

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 31 March 2021, 13:47 »
I've been told by two companies that two colour powder coating is not possible due to the way the powder is applied and oven baked. What they can do though is powder coat the whole wheel in black and then mask off and silver spray paint the diamond faces. This obviously increases costs...

I think the places I’ve used may use non powdercoat coat for the colour to achieve the look and then clear powdercoat to protect, as I’ve had mine done a couple of times using the black chrome and shadow chrome result.