Author Topic: Turning the alarm off  (Read 7501 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Turning the alarm off
« on: 07 August 2019, 16:53 »
Hi guys and girls,

When I want to briefly leave my dog in the car when nipping into a shop etc, how do I turn the alarm off when I lock the car? I've read the manual and it says something about a button on the B pillar, but I can't find it. The only way I can find to do it is to go through the menus, which is a pain in the arse.

Does this toggle button exist in the GTI? Or is it only the base Golf? Only other countries? Help a brother out :laugh:

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: Turning the alarm off
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2019, 17:23 »
The button got removed on the 7.5, but the manual has not been updated.

You either have to a) do it in the menus, which as you point out is a bit of a faff, or b) when you get out and press lock on the key fob, the indicators will flash once, press lock on the key fob a second time and you will get another indicator flash and the car will still be locked but interior monitoring AND deadlocks will be deactivated until you unlock the car again.

Unlike the Mk7, on the 7.5 There's no way of just turning off the interior monitoring and having the car fully deadlocked, unless you go through the menus.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2019, 18:23 »
The button got removed on the 7.5, but the manual has not been updated.

You either have to a) do it in the menus, which as you point out is a bit of a faff, or b) when you get out and press lock on the key fob, the indicators will flash once, press lock on the key fob a second time and you will get another indicator flash and the car will still be locked but interior monitoring AND deadlocks will be deactivated until you unlock the car again.

Unlike the Mk7, on the 7.5 There's no way of just turning off the interior monitoring and having the car fully deadlocked, unless you go through the menus.

I was under the impression that a double press would only turn off the deadlocking - is the interior monitoring being turned off documented anywhere?

Also, is the interior monitoring the only way the alarm can be set off, or does it go off if the handles are tried etc? I've never even heard my alarm so have no idea what it sounds like or how it behaves.

Final question - how far apart do the presses have to be? I often press the lock button a second time out of habit, as maybe I wasn't looking the first time so I'm not sure if the car is locked or not. I'd say there's 5-10 seconds between my presses. Would this count as a double press?

Ok THIS is my final q - does the LED on the key indicate that a command has been sent, or that the command has been received by the car? Becuase these are two different things.

I'd love it if the key fob behaved like Mercedes, where a double press, which disables keyless entry, causes a distinct flashing pattern on the key

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2019, 09:24 »
I was under the impression that a double press would only turn off the deadlocking - is the interior monitoring being turned off documented anywhere?
Not documented as far as I'\m aware, but you can try it yourself by locking the car with the window down then reaching in, the seniors won't activate. This was discovered on the R forum.

Also, is the interior monitoring the only way the alarm can be set off, or does it go off if the handles are tried etc? I've never even heard my alarm so have no idea what it sounds like or how it behaves.
Motion/vibration sensor for movement of the car. So no pulling a door handle doesn't set the alarm off, but rocking it or jolting it will.

I'd love it if the key fob behaved like Mercedes, where a double press, which disables keyless entry, causes a distinct flashing pattern on the key
On the Golf you can disable the keyless like you can on Merc. you do it by pressing lock on the key fob, then pressing the door sesnor button a few seconds after pressing the key fob button.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2019, 09:27 »
Not documented as far as I'\m aware, but you can try it yourself by locking the car with the window down then reaching in, the seniors won't activate. This was discovered on the R forum.

Motion/vibration sensor for movement of the car. So no pulling a door handle doesn't set the alarm off, but rocking it or jolting it will.

On the Golf you can disable the keyless like you can on Merc. you do it by pressing lock on the key fob, then pressing the door sesnor button a few seconds after pressing the key fob button.

So let me get this straight - if I do a double press on the key, the interior monitoring and the deadlocks turn off, but the motion sensors stay enabled?

WRT the keyless thing, I wasn't talking about actually disabling keyless, I just like the way the Merc fob actually shows you via a light pattern when you've entered a special button function correctly. Unlike the VW fob, which just flashes once for each press whatever.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2019, 09:32 »
So let me get this straight - if I do a double press on the key, the interior monitoring and the deadlocks turn off, but the motion sensors stay enabled?
That's what home tests have shown yes, a double press (not instant, but with a pause in the middle) deactivates the interior motion sensor and deadlocks, but the car is still alarmed.

The problem being the VW manual hasn't been updated for the 7.5, so it might vary from car to car, but that's the consensus and what's been gleaned over on the R forum and also the MK7 forum.
SOLD March 2021

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2019, 10:37 »
With my car, after a double click, the flashing led, at the front of the driver’s door top, stops flashing, which I guess means that the internal stuff has been switched off. Another single click starts the led flashing again. Not something I use, so I hadn’t missed the pillar button until I read this thread.

This works if you have previously also tapped the door handle lock dimple, after clicking the remote, to disable keyless entry. The keyless remains disabled, but you can toggle the internal led using double clicks, or single clicks.

I haven’t checked which monitors remain active when the led is off.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2021, 17:00 »
Had a bit of a nervous moment today. While out and about, I had an email sent via  the ‘We Connect’ app saying my alarm had gone off as it had detected movement in the vehicle!

Thing is, I was about 3 miles away from the car at this point and not knowing if it was a false alert, or somebody had bumped it, broken in, or insect (butterfly?) had triggered it.

So had to sweat it out for the next 2 hours or so. Getting back to the car, all looked well (to my relief), but the culprit was the dashcam mount had come unstuck from the windscreen (no doubt in the direct sunshine) and triggered the internal alarm.

These apps are great, but caused me a bit of stress otherwise I would have been blissfully unaware. I may decide to disable to alarm next time with the process described in the earlier posts!

MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 04 April 2021, 20:31 »
I know it will be a long time from now but I was trying to work out how to turn off the motion/tilt sensor for when I eventual go on the ferry to France.

Without the old B pillar button then I think the only way is via the infotainment system, some thing like... uncheck the option then get out sharpish and lock the car.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline urtoinpo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 07 April 2021, 12:25 »
I've had alarm aggro on the odd occasion when I've locked the car for a short while to pay for petrol/post a letter with the kids sitting in the back.  Although they/the car are always within my sight, I prefer to lock as I'm a few seconds away from being able to reach them in the unlikely case of some lowlife attempting something with them and/or the car.

As has been stated, it's a pain going into the menu to deactivate the interior sensors and I've found-out the noisy way it will auto-reset to default 'on' every time as soon as the doors are unlocked, even if the ignition hasn't been touched in the meantime.

Fed-up with faffing about with inserting the key and going into the menu, my solution involved removing the plastic alarm sensors trim and covering the motion sensors themselves with tiny pieces of black electrical tape. Once the trim is re-affixed, there is no indication that the sensors have been effectively deactivated. 

So far it has been successful, but as I try to avoid the mentioned scenario as much as possible it will be a few weeks before I confidently can claim it's a 100% fix.

2019 Golf '150' EVO Variant/Estate/Wagon (manual)