Author Topic: Autocar article on steering  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Autocar article on steering
« on: 21 August 2020, 15:20 »
Came across this interesting article on steering feel, mentions the golf as a car with a very good electric system.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/no-bum-steer-importance-steering-feel
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline karlos

• Not said much yet
Re: Autocar article on steering
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2020, 01:48 »
That article touched a nerve with me. I've long complained that recent cars have dreadful steering that feels like the wheel is connected to the road through a bucket of custard. The first three cars I owned had no assistance at all, and even though they weren't performance cars you always knew exactly where the front wheels were pointing.

Thankfully the Golf has one of the better electric steering setups, but it's by no means great.
2017 (67) GTI PP DSG. Tungsten Silver with DCC, Art Velours, Dynaudio, Climate Screen, Tints, Keyless, Rear Camera, Lane Assist, Seville wheels.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2020, 05:43 »
Oh boy, me too.  This is my pet peeve.

I have only two criticisms of my 7.5 GTI - the throttle response/dead initial pedal travel and the steering.

To me the Golf's steering is accurate, but dead and very much lacking in feel. Both my 7.5s suffered in this regard.  If the Golf is an example of good electric steering, I'd hate to drive a bad example.  I consider it adequate in the GTI and inadequate in the 1.4TSi.  My mk5 GTI, for example, had better steering feel.  I realise it is a different system, but this still demonstrates how poor the current systems are in comparison.

And the inclusion of the 3-series BMW on the list of good examples is curious.  Every review I've read of that car has criticised the steering feel!

The article does make a valid point about younger reviewers having grown up with electric steering not realising what they're missing.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2020, 14:28 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2020, 08:00 »
I agree about the initial throttle response. Although it is nowhere near as bad as my Audi A3. It’s much better in S mode (in DSG cars) but then it redlines before changing up and I also dislike the aggressive engine breaking in Sport mode. Do people use Normal or Sport mode for the steering? It feels sharper in Sport mode but is harder work. I alternate between the two to suit my mood/driving style.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2020, 08:35 »
Sport steering mode should make it feel heavier but it shouldn't make it harder to use.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2020, 08:51 »
I've always regarded the steering feel on my golf as pretty good- in comparison with other modern cars.
There's certainly better feel than my brother's Audi S4- that was rubbish.
I get the impression VW are the best of the VAG group cars for steering, certainly from what I've read and some limited experience of driving other cars.
@Splashalot, I'm surprised you found the mk5 gti steering better for feel, that was an electric system too- surely they haven't gone backwards?
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2020, 08:59 »
Steering feel in my Mk7.5 GTD is significantly better than my Mk5 GT TDi. Granted the Mk5 wasn't a 'performance' Golf, but it was still numb.

When it was replaced by a Mk2 Ford Focus one of the first things I noticed was how much better the steering felt.
7.5 GTD

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2020, 11:21 »
I agree about the initial throttle response. Although it is nowhere near as bad as my Audi A3. It’s much better in S mode (in DSG cars) but then it redlines before changing up and I also dislike the aggressive engine breaking in Sport mode. Do people use Normal or Sport mode for the steering? It feels sharper in Sport mode but is harder work. I alternate between the two to suit my mood/driving style.

Sport mode but keep the gearbox in Normal / D is a nice compromise. Steering is weightier and the throttle feels more responsive, but the change points are more civilised.