Author Topic: cambelt change  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Badluck

• Not said much yet
cambelt change
« on: 25 June 2020, 11:45 »
My GTD has hit 5 years and is due it's cambelt\waterpump. Is it worth getting the aux belt changed at the same time? what about the aux belt tensioner? Do you guys have any luck negotiating on price with your dealer or are prices generally fixed?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: cambelt change
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2020, 13:55 »
I've never paid full price for service/mot etc. Always worth speaking to the service manager especially if you've always had things done by the same dealer.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2020, 09:13 »
Try a good independent garage, locally it is a £100 saving per hour on labour alone.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2020, 19:10 »
I'd shop around though.

I recently was told (wrongly it turns out) by the dealer that I need rear discs and pads. I asked around and nobody was actually quoting me lower than the main dealer... and thats some pretty good local guys I get work on the family's fleet.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Badluck

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 07 July 2020, 18:37 »
Thanks for the replies. I decided to ditch the dealer and got the parts from TPS. Came in at £200 for the timing belt kit, water-pump, aux belt and 2 x 1.5L coolant (G12 evo).

I also noticed water in my tailgate last week. Turns out it was a perished grommet/pipe. That was £5. Part number is 510-827-861 if anyone else has the same issue.

Offline Badluck

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 08 July 2020, 10:40 »
Slight cockup with the coolant. It's actually 1L bottles and pre-mixed not concentrate. Anyone know how much I'll need when the waterpump gets changed?