Author Topic: cheap remap.  (Read 13015 times)

WhiteGTI

Re: cheap remap.
« Reply #30 on: 13 October 2008, 13:31 »
think i prefere silver, although black is different! but you cant really see them, and the idea of spending a grand on an exhaust is that it neeeds to be seen... clearly  :smiley: imo  :smiley:

....Does a TBE Milltek cost a grand!? I don't think it costs that much.

For my quads I think that the black very much reduces the OTT effect of having quads on a lowly 4-pot engine. Also, I'm happier just to be able to shampoo n rinse my pipes rather than use elbow grease polishing.

£1100 ish at JKM!!!! (incl. VAT and fitting)

Offline Top Cat

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 13 October 2008, 15:16 »
think i prefere silver, although black is different! but you cant really see them, and the idea of spending a grand on an exhaust is that it neeeds to be seen... clearly  :smiley: imo  :smiley:

For my quads I think that the black very much reduces the OTT effect of having quads on a lowly 4-pot engine. Also, I'm happier just to be able to shampoo n rinse my pipes rather than use elbow grease polishing.

and trust me White GTI should know with his research  :grin:  :wink:

WhiteGTI

« Reply #32 on: 13 October 2008, 15:20 »

and trust me White GTI should know with his research  :grin:  :wink:

HA!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline joesgti

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 13 October 2008, 15:39 »

true robin, i understand what you are saying, but if you feel that way then why get the quads in the first place??  :huh: oh and a TBE milltek a grand  :rolleyes: or more^^

GTI MK5
Not the only GTI...........but the best! ; )

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #34 on: 13 October 2008, 16:53 »

true robin, i understand what you are saying, but if you feel that way then why get the quads in the first place??  :huh: oh and a TBE milltek a grand  :rolleyes: or more^^

....Firstly I didn't pay anything like a grand for my exhaust, but I would do so - I don't think it's too expensive for what it is and the aftersales support.

I started off hating that black plastic Ford Ka style rear valance on the Mk5 GTI - Especially nasty looking (imo) on a red GTI and coming from a BMW straight-six exhaust music I was very dissatisfied with the over-soundproofing of the GTI cabin (Mk6 will be worse in this respect). Hearing the engine at all times is a very important driving aid imo - Whatever the vehicle.

I thought you might like the blackness of the exhaust on your very black styled car.
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline joesgti

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 13 October 2008, 17:00 »

....Firstly I didn't pay anything like a grand for my exhaust, but I would do so - I don't think it's too expensive for what it is and the aftersales support.

I started off hating that black plastic Ford Ka style rear valance on the Mk5 GTI - Especially nasty looking (imo) on a red GTI and coming from a BMW straight-six exhaust music I was very dissatisfied with the over-soundproofing of the GTI cabin (Mk6 will be worse in this respect). Hearing the engine at all times is a very important driving aid imo - Whatever the vehicle.

I thought you might like the blackness of the exhaust on your very black styled car.

i suppose robin, but are the quads any louder than a std non-res system?? so doesnt really justify quads if its no louder, unless you like the quads, then you did it for cosmetic reasons  :smiley:

i do like the black style but only the AWE R32 style in black, as its more of a chrome polished black, rather than matt black, could do with a better pic really pal, as they do look matt black on the pic, but may well not be  :smiley:

GTI MK5
Not the only GTI...........but the best! ; )

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 13 October 2008, 18:23 »
i suppose robin, but are the quads any louder than a std non-res system?? so doesnt really justify quads if its no louder, unless you like the quads, then you did it for cosmetic reasons  :smiley:

i do like the black style but only the AWE R32 style in black, as its more of a chrome polished black, rather than matt black, could do with a better pic really pal, as they do look matt black on the pic, but may well not be  :smiley:

....I thought I had explained my part cosmetic and part exhaust sound reasons for the quads.

No the quads aren't any louder than twin pipes - Possibly a tiny little bit deeper but extremely difficult to be certain.

They're not matt and they're not glossy when clean - More satin finish as described. I'm not cleaning them yet as part of testing how they fare, so you'll have to wait for pics.

:afro:

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline sicupra

• Not said much yet
  • boooost!!!!
« Reply #37 on: 22 October 2008, 16:17 »
My rule of judgement is that if a tuner doesn't work with Milltek (or another major performance exhaust producer) in their performance exhaust developments, I simply ain't interested! There's no point - They go hand-in-hand.

all due respect Robin that's a very elitiest view - a lot of people can't afford an after market exhaust system and therefore shouldn't chose a tuner based on whether or not they work closely with an aftermarket exhaust manufacturer

many don't simply have the resources to do so

i chose my remap based on reviews and testing other cars, not because they work with exhaust manufacturers

here here!!
ive had problems with revo and apr maps.  :sick:
yet none with r-tech, and nicks map way out performed them!  :cool:
reputation can be very fickle!
half the cost for a better result?
just coz you aint a huge brand name doesent mean u havnt got a clue.
r-tech and ecotech performance are top guys if you ask me.
no its not strictly a vw.
leon cupra 20vt with a sprinkle of ecotech magic.

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 22 October 2008, 20:15 »
My rule of judgement is that if a tuner doesn't work with Milltek (or another major performance exhaust producer) in their performance exhaust developments, I simply ain't interested! There's no point - They go hand-in-hand.

all due respect Robin that's a very elitiest view - a lot of people can't afford an after market exhaust system and therefore shouldn't chose a tuner based on whether or not they work closely with an aftermarket exhaust manufacturer

many don't simply have the resources to do so

i chose my remap based on reviews and testing other cars, not because they work with exhaust manufacturers

....Not elitist at all, but sharing knowledge and my opinions. I repeat: I personally wouldn't consider a remap by any tuner who hasn't worked hand-in-hand with an established performance exhaust designer and manufacturer. Why? - Because it's essential that the two work well together. I'm assuming that we are talking about a Hi-flow+Downpipe type of exhaust here.

Take it or leave it - It's no skin off my nose and it's entirely up to you of course. ETTO.

:cool: