Author Topic: Qaz's Mk4 1.8T Project 300bhp  (Read 38558 times)

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
Re: Qaz's Mk4 1.8T Project 300bhp
« Reply #40 on: 18 January 2018, 19:57 »
Wow qaz. Come along way. Been some time. Iv got same ap coilovers on mine. And im rebuilding some octy vrs calipers and building a k03s hybrid stage 2. Jus the core no machining done yet. I wanted to ask you about the fuel pump. Im collecting parts atm. But wanted to know who does that fuel pump perform? I have heard bad stuff about the walbro 225 as it doesnt work properly when 3/4 tank left.

Bro!! Where have you been? Hope you're well. Good to see you're still fiddling, I have a good link for the hybrid you're building however it would require machining. PM me if interested!
My fuel pump is a copy of the DW pump, it works alright so far though my car isn't mapped yet. I have seen that it doesn't flow well past around 320bbhp or something but for your turbo it should be alright. I have read somewhere that it needs 2 O rings at the bottom so it sits properly though

Been doing bits and bobs realy.
Iv done alot to mine since its been on the road for over a year now.
U gota link for that fuel pump?
I hope u got a good link at TPS or the dealer.
Shame the block is shot. So new bottom end??
Nah not going pure hybrid, as iv fitted the core and its a nice snug fit. Just need to fit it on now.
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #41 on: 21 January 2018, 20:52 »
Bad luck. Are you able to go oversize bores/pistons, grab some extra capacity, salvage the block?
Otherwise great reading!
Keep it up!

That was most definitely an option, but it just seemed too out of price at the time. So another block has been sourced I do have an update coming Tuesday/ Wednesday and will update accordingly. Thanks for reading bro I appreciate it, I do read yours too, it needs more pics bro!
I will most definitely try man, if the wallet allows me.

Qaz

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #42 on: 21 January 2018, 20:54 »
Wow qaz. Come along way. Been some time. Iv got same ap coilovers on mine. And im rebuilding some octy vrs calipers and building a k03s hybrid stage 2. Jus the core no machining done yet. I wanted to ask you about the fuel pump. Im collecting parts atm. But wanted to know who does that fuel pump perform? I have heard bad stuff about the walbro 225 as it doesnt work properly when 3/4 tank left.

Bro!! Where have you been? Hope you're well. Good to see you're still fiddling, I have a good link for the hybrid you're building however it would require machining. PM me if interested!
My fuel pump is a copy of the DW pump, it works alright so far though my car isn't mapped yet. I have seen that it doesn't flow well past around 320bbhp or something but for your turbo it should be alright. I have read somewhere that it needs 2 O rings at the bottom so it sits properly though

Been doing bits and bobs realy.
Iv done alot to mine since its been on the road for over a year now.
U gota link for that fuel pump?
I hope u got a good link at TPS or the dealer.
Shame the block is shot. So new bottom end??
Nah not going pure hybrid, as iv fitted the core and its a nice snug fit. Just need to fit it on now.

That is good bro, good to have you updating. Lately the forum has been quiet. I don't but I will try find it for you somehow, badger5 don't sell them anymore. You could always spend a bit extra and get the DW pump, just make sure you fit it with two O rings I believe.
Yeah another bottom end and build it up and then swap them around! Update coming this week though.
Oh ok that should make good power, what engine code are you bro?

Qaz

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #43 on: 22 January 2018, 23:13 »
Sytec pump works fine for me, £50. Took about half hour to fit to the basket then about 10mins to fit in the car

I used 2 big O rings at the top as the pump is very slightly smaller than the standard pump

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #44 on: 26 January 2018, 19:52 »
Ahh I see, I will keep that in mind if mine turns out to be crappy!

Anyway update time, I have been busy so sorry for not being regular.

But big news.

Engine has been built.

In the end I didn't go for oversize pistons and luckily sourced a block that could be used. So everything was built up on this engine.

But wait it gets better.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Engine is in with my poly engine mounts!

I am absolutely over the moon. Had a few miles to run in the engine done for me on the dyno and etc. And check this out!

Car is on standard injections which is why you can see the engine not getting any fuel around 5000rpm. But 246 and it is very f**king nippy. And to think there is much more once it is mapped! So that is 246 at around 5000rpm.

I am very excited and cannot wait to be mapped. So close to getting there. Car is absolutely lovely to drive. Highly recommend anyone reading this to do their engine mounts. I do however have some vibration on idle and feel it in the cabin a bin sometimes. But it isn't bad cause I only used 70 poly and not 85.

So I have currently done 400 miles and need to do 600 more!

But I am absolutely enjoying it. Driving the car has never felt more fun, the only thing is I can't go near 5000 rpm so running it in I change around 4000/4500rpm. Car is pulling very strong. Anyone care to join me for a road trip or want to meet up kill off some miles haha.

Thanks for reading guys, once again hope you enjoyed this update as much as I did!

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
« Reply #45 on: 28 January 2018, 19:54 »
Smashed it brother. Who mapped the car before for u?
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #46 on: 30 January 2018, 21:52 »
Smashed it brother. Who mapped the car before for u?

Safe bro almost there indeed! It is absolutely killing me having to shift at 4k/4 & a half. Cannot wait to be able to full throttle it and let it fly once it's mapped.

That's the thing bro, I think it's stock map, just all these mods have added a little bit more each time. And the result is that the weak link is now the injectors struggling to keep up!

Cannot wait to finish this now.

Qaz

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #47 on: 30 January 2018, 22:06 »
Ok good news and bad news.

Good news, I changed me buggered driveshaft. Getting closer to mapping so trying to take care of as many little niggles I know are there so the car can handle more power and will drive well.

Old one.

Nice new one.

Okay bad news. My oil cooler has been leaking, originally I thought it might be from the build and that it had been taken off. Washed the car and cooler thoroughly took it so a spin and oil was all over the bottom half of it. Not happy.

Cars back off the road until I get it sorted. Done about 400/500 miles now so want to crack on fixing all the niggles so I can get it mapped as soon as I get to 1000 miles. Then I can really open up that engine :laugh:

REALLY tempted to buy bits and pieces I don't NEED. However gonna address all the things that are needed before I do that. Additionally I wanna get an oil temp gauge and oil pressure gauge. I know the oil pressure gauge goes into my sandwich plate. However where do you hook up the temp gauge?

Also anyone running a right hand drive a pillar pod that holds 3 gauges? Please let me know where to find one that actually fits the mk4 rhd and not a universal one.

Once again thanks for reading only a small update until I fix the cooler, I would have undone the sandwich plate and hoses but I currently don't have a jack or time.

Qaz

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #48 on: 31 January 2018, 20:23 »
According to audi sport you can fit temperature sensor in existing hole top of oil filter housing. Worth a look

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/fitting-an-oil-pressure-oil-temp-and-boost-gauge.135574/

Build thread clicky

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #49 on: 06 February 2018, 16:26 »
I will most definitely look into that once I get them! For now nothing excited, swapped the leaky cooler over and put the new one on. Leak is gone, cars back on the road. However when tightening the new cooler up one of the hoses was a tad loose. Think the old cooler might be okay, will pressure test it soon to see if it lives to see another day. If not it's going in the bin. Would prefer my old cooler as it was 16 row and my new one is 13 row. Won't make much of a noticeable difference but I want the 16 row one on  :grin:

Anyone running a three gauge pod along the A pillar? Or does it need to be custom made?

Qaz