Author Topic: Alternator  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Kboo91

• Just got here
Alternator
« on: 08 November 2016, 09:08 »
Hey! I need some advice.. I've got a mk4 gti agu and I need a new alternator, from what I've seen so far theres not much point getting a reconditioned one what do you think? Coming up to Christmas I need to save the pennies haha! And do you know roughly how much labour would be? Sorry I'm kinda clueless. Thanks :)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Alternator
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2016, 09:56 »
Why is there not much point?
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2016, 14:31 »
Hour, hour and a half. Depends on garage rates 40+ an hour for labour normally
Refurbed should be cheaper and as good as a new one if done properly.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2016, 17:24 »
Agree 100% with the above...a decent refurb facility should be able to provide one as good, or better (given the age) than the original.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2016, 11:41 »
Where are you located?
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2016, 16:14 »
Not sure who you're asking, but the posting members locations are usually listed just under the user name...like yours is.

Anyway, you seem to have a problem and various people are ready to help you. Some info from you might help you get some definitive answers...regarding your suspect alternator, has it been checked out properly? Output, noises (rattles or similar) or visible signs of malfunction? If any of these areas are suspect, then it almost certainly needs attention....

...or is the problem more like slow starting, half flat battery type of thing?

Reason I'm asking is because I've just had a similar type of problem with my TDI 1.9. My Exide battery was only 15 months old and as the temps started to drop, I seemed to be having 'flat battery' problems..I suspected the alternator was getting tired...a test at my local Bosch garage changed my mind and it turned out to be a dodgy battery. A new Bosch one fitted and no problems since. Just a shame that Exide battery warranties are only good for 12 months over here...I'm wiser for the experience.

Just some food for thought.
« Last Edit: 09 November 2016, 16:53 by bgbazz »
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2016, 19:15 »
Me down in gloucestershire.
Dependent on where you are in yorskshire i could put you in contact with a mate in lincolnshire who could help

Offline Kboo91

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 10 November 2016, 08:00 »
Thanks for all the replies! I was generally asking anyone and I'm further down south, Hastings near Dover. It hasn't been looked at by a garage but by a friend. It sounds like I've got a little bird in the engine bay and a flat battery. to be honest I've had that battery from a while so I may need to get a new one too, I only passed a few months ago so sorry if I sound a bit dim lol. I will call around today and see how much I can get mine refurbished but I'm pretty sure it's an original still worth it? Thank you all again :)

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #8 on: 10 November 2016, 09:51 »
Refurbished is refurbished, they should change the internals that wear for new. Clean it all so itll look new.
You shouldnt notice, some places even have common alternators ready to go to save time

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #9 on: 10 November 2016, 14:07 »
What is the problem?
If it is not charging properly anymore then it probably is just regulator which is 10-15 quid, if you want to be thorough change the rotor too....
No need for full refurb if bearing and free wheeling are still ok.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles