Author Topic: Mk4 golf gti t no sound one side when playing cd??  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Bigcraig

• Just got here
Mk4 golf gti t no sound one side when playing cd??
« on: 03 November 2016, 18:55 »
Looking for some help folks the problem is..
Playing a cd I only get sound on one side but my radio works fine. Am lost would usually start looking for broken wires and such but as radio plays fine all speakers must be fine?? Help please

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
Re: Mk4 golf gti t no sound one side when playing cd??
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2016, 07:15 »
Do you have the standard Gamma set up or something different?
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2016, 19:49 »
I guess you managed to sort it out.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline Bigcraig

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2016, 20:05 »
Hi bgbazz sorry been busy am new to the vw it looks standard to me all looks in good nick ie wiring thanjs for the reply

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2016, 20:16 »
No probs. It would be worth checking the lead from the cd unit to the radio itself...earlier this year, I swapped my units around...radio sits on top, cd in the centre and the A/C panel at the bottom. I ended up with the same symptons you have, but it was easily solved with a bit of deft finger work. (and a few very light squirts of WD40).

Not saying this is a 100% cause or result, but worth a look.

Offline Bigcraig

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2016, 20:35 »
Cheers I will have a look tomorrow really annoying as the radio signal is not very putting that to the ariel as it looks abit green and old

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 06 November 2016, 07:07 »
If the connections are looking a bit 'iffy', use some electrical contact cleaner on every connector you can see. Use it sparingly as some plastics don't like it much...wipe away any excess and after a minute or two, flush everything with the WD40...works for me.

Offline Bigcraig

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 06 November 2016, 19:01 »
Thanks a keep that in mind a had a look today never had the time to get it out no to sure how to lol a hope to get in about it tomorrow

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 06 November 2016, 22:40 »
Actually, you shouldn't need to get it out...if it's the original setup, you can get to it from the glovebox side, should give you enough room to pull and clean the contacts, reconnect and test it all whilst in place.

Probably should have said that you can test it all before you put all the panels back in place.

Also, the mention of things looking a bit green suggests that the contact cleaner might come in handy.

Wishing you success.
« Last Edit: 07 November 2016, 21:01 by bgbazz »

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 10 November 2016, 17:01 »
Did you have any joy with it?