Author Topic: Power and performance  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Ainsleyg1981

• Not said much yet
Power and performance
« on: 16 October 2016, 20:07 »
Hi all
Just brought a mk4 gti 20 valve turbo.  I've wanted one for ages it's a bit tatty but I'm going to do it up to standard.
My question is it seems very slow and quite dissapointing actually. My wife has a touran which has been re-mapped to 190 bhp and that would leave my gti standing.
The air filter has been replaced with a k&n induction type which hasn't been fitted quite badly as it's flapping around and isn't secured to the mAf sensor properly so not sure if that's any cause.
The boost seems to be around 0.5 bar max is that normal?
Thanks for any help..

Offline ABOO

• I live here
Re: Power and performance
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2016, 20:54 »
Not surprising that a remapped car would leave what sounds like a neglected gti standing pal. Standard 1.8 T performance isn't anything special. A remap transforms the car to what it should have been from the factory.
2001 aum 1.8T

Offline Ainsleyg1981

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2016, 21:06 »
I've spoken to the guy from quantum who did my wife's diesel touran and he said the Bhp figure would be around 192 from the standard 150. He did say as I've got the throttle cable not fly by wire I will need a different chip fitted but that's as far as I got. The guy I brought it off seem to think it was the fastest thing ever but it's very underwhelming in fact.
Hopefully a new exhaust and air filter and remap will do the trick.

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2016, 22:05 »
Only early throttle cable 1.8Ts need the chip changing, all depends on what the part number is on ECU you have fitted

Mine is a 99 GTI with cable throttle and is mappable through the OBD port

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Ainsleyg1981

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2016, 17:05 »
Did you need to get your chip changed before you could remap?
Did the power increase feel worth it?  I'm really dissapointed with the standard power of mine it's really crap.

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2016, 20:41 »
Easiest way to check is have a look for your engine code - pop the hood and remove the main plastic cover (4 plastic screws). At the left hand side where the valve cover meets the head there should be a three letter code - AGU or similar.

Yes the remap is an absolute no brainier and makes the car a shed load better, just don't forget to tell your insurance ;-)

Als just realised you said 0.5bar - I think mine used to boost to 0.9bar when it was standard?

Offline Ainsleyg1981

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2016, 20:53 »
Ok thanks. I'll check tomorrow. My mapping guy said you can't do any of the throttle cable engines until you change the ecu chip as it's not reprogrammable.
Not sure about the turbo then? There's certainly no kick back in my seat like any normal turbo car would give it's really rather wank to be honest. Like I say my wife's diesel touran would smash it on a drag race.  :embarrassed:

Offline Ainsleyg1981

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2016, 20:55 »
Ps
It's got a badly fitted cone type air filter which isn't secured to the mAf it's just falling around. Also it has a atmospheric dump valve which apparently isn't good is it for this engine?
I'm learning..... :wink:

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 17 October 2016, 21:29 »
Throw the air filter and the dump valve in the bin and refit standard air box with a decent panel filter and use a standard dump valve  :smiley:

Offline Ainsleyg1981

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 17 October 2016, 21:34 »
Do you think that's the reason for my lack of turbo power?
I want to get a forge 007 recirc and a piper cross induction kit. Will they be ok?