Author Topic: SAI Delete - Research so far...  (Read 13938 times)

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
Re: SAI Delete - Research so far...
« Reply #20 on: 29 September 2016, 15:31 »
Cool cool, cheers bud - good job I replaced it recently :smug:

I'll have a go with and without the plate/cover and see what I prefer, will have to weigh up the aesthetics against the extreme weight loss due to removal of the metal plate...  :whistle:

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #21 on: 29 September 2016, 15:47 »
Remove it, itll fly like a Ferrari  :grin: :grin:

But your right theres no gain. Just depends what you like.
If ive got a pic ill upload later of a customers s3 thats got the engine cover but not the other

Offline LR5V

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 01 October 2016, 16:14 »
I got the female connectors from other VW's in a scrap yard.
Its been a while, but iirc I only needed 4 resistors, x3 were the same, I sourced them from 9N polo's - on the front of the gearbox, only one per car so I had to harvest several cars chopping a good bit of loom attached. Think the last one is the connector to the SAI pump, easier to find.

I opted to retain the 'front panel and engine cover, looks neater and if I need access its only a couple of clips & 2 bolts

Whereabouts are you in Scotland?

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 09 October 2016, 17:46 »
Thanks for the reply - I'm in Aberdeen. Been out this aft and got shot of the evap system, surprised how much neater it looks over at the coolant ball side of the engine bay now!

Am I right in assuming that the metal hard line that used to take the evap vapour along the inlet mani (left to right as you look at the bay) could be removed and the attached coolant line just replaced with a silicone hose to get rid of that too?

Resistors turned up - just deliberating over making these plug and play resistor packs. I'm a nightmare for hoarding all the random crap I've taken out of the bay over the years and toying with the idea of actually cutting some of the wiring harness back and tucking it away. I'm never going to reinstate any of the hardware so not sure why I'm bothered about the wiring?!

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #24 on: 09 October 2016, 21:40 »
All I ever do is put silicone where it use to join on top tb and a bolt in the end of that to plug it up

Offline LR5V

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 09 October 2016, 23:42 »
I'm on the same side as you, but wrong end  -Edinburgh

You mean the silver hard pipes?
I binned mine as they were all bi-passed

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 10 October 2016, 09:10 »
I've ordered some silicone end cap bungs for all my unused vacuum ports - I count 3 x 8mm for under the inlet mani and TB and 1 x 4mm for the smaller port under the inlet mani. I've run a length of fuel hose from the evap fuel line down through the grommet into the wing as opposed to capping that off - it is a vent after all.

I'll try and get a photo but basically there are two shiny hard lines for the FPR and fuel rail but then underneath there's two black hardlines attached to the inlet mani - one is now useless but the other still carried coolant so planning on removing and just joining the coolant hoses with silicone (looks like 10mm or thereabouts).

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #27 on: 10 October 2016, 11:36 »
Under the fuel rail, one is vaccum for brakes. I need a pic as I cant think of the coolant one and ive not got a 20vt to hand

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 10 October 2016, 12:30 »
I'll try to get a photo tonight and use my MS Paint skills to mark on some arrows  :laugh:

The vacuum for the brake servo comes off the right hand side of the inlet mani on mine - much bigger port, 15mm or so? I traced the lines and the left hand side connects to the coolant ball overflow/return (highest pipe adjacent to the coolant level sensor in the ball, the right hand side connects via a T-piece into the upper rad hose.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #29 on: 10 October 2016, 17:09 »
Picture needed, I have a Aum engine but its in a workshop and am not so cant even look to see. Haha