Author Topic: A/C blowing hot air  (Read 12849 times)

Offline ImIMK3

• Not said much yet
A/C blowing hot air
« on: 29 May 2017, 05:41 »
Hello everyone. In this fantastic weather I decided to use the a/c on my TDI for the first time to find that the a/c was blowing hot air. I decided to leave it on for a while to see if it takes time but still blowed hot air. Does anyone the best way to diagnose the issue?

Offline Twentymac

• Just got here
  • MK4 Golf GT TDI
Re: A/C blowing hot air
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2017, 11:00 »
Mine does the same thing every year chap.

Old cars / Old AC system!

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2017, 12:45 »
Check and see if the compressor is engaging when you select the cold setting...the pulley will be getting driven by the belt but the clutched centre needs to be turning as well. One of the reasons it will fail to turn is lack of gas...they are designed that way to protect the compressor. If that turns out to be the case, a visit to a garage which can re-gas the system, is the next step...they will do a leak test at the same time (if they are any good).

Hope that helps.   :smiley:
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2017, 17:44 »
Guess you got it working properly.

:wink:
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline Promethius

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2018, 11:27 »
It could also be that the compressor shaft has sheared, allowing the clutch to fall off - this is not uncommon older engines.

Offline Delltron

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 06 August 2020, 16:03 »
I had the same problem with mine, when I went to get it regassed from one of these mobile regassers he tried putting the gas in but it still didn't work and still tried chargingme for the gas!
Eventually I took it to one of my friends who works as a tech for Fiat and he said one of the rubber seals had gone on the compressor and he replaced it and regassed it, haven't had any problems since.