Author Topic: HOW TO - Use boot struts as bonnet lifters  (Read 31699 times)

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
HOW TO - Use boot struts as bonnet lifters
« on: 07 April 2009, 01:15 »
Put together this little write up for using a pair of boot struts from a MK3 Golf as bonnet lifters. Costs the price you pay for the struts from a scrappy but that should be anything between £4 - £10. I paid £5 :P

You'll need a 13mm spanner, to undo the bolts on a scrap Golf. You can make it easier for yourself if you take a flatheaded screwdriver to pry the back metal casing that holds the strut in place on the bolt. You'll see what I mean when you look at one. Obviously take the struts off, keep the bolts and washers for them too.

Now locate the following places on your Golf:

One next to the washer bottle:

One next to the air filter:

For these two above, you'll need 2 nuts for which will fit onto the bolts from the boot struts, and place them under the small gaps (you'll see what I mean when you're there). Screw the bolts in on both locations. Also to note, you'll have to pull off on either side a spongy type piece of material, easy to do, just pull it and it'll reveal the hole you need to use for the strut bolt.

One on the bonnet nearer the back:

The other is in the same location just on the other side :)

The last two you'll need to remove the bolts and replace with the ones from the boot struts. Also to note that you'll want to cover up the area with paint or something to stop it from rusting as it's bare metal under the original bolt.

You'll end up with this:

Oh and you'll find that if you look at where the boot bolts need to go, you'll have some sponge type material that helps soften where the bonnet goes down, they have a groove in them which conviently looks like the boot struts were meant to go on the bonnet in the first place :P
« Last Edit: 07 April 2009, 11:10 by Shady Pioneer »

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re: HOW TO - Use boot struts as bonnet lifters
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2009, 08:28 »
All useful tips and how to's like this should be stickied! Or up in the Info section! :wink:
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2009, 08:36 »
i like  :cool:

Offline hyland770

• I live here
  • Vw Golf 1.6 estimated to have around 500+ bhp
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2009, 10:08 »
that look sick will do it today  :smiley:, are the holes already in place or do you have to drill your own for where you bolt the boot strut on?

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2009, 11:09 »
that look sick will do it today  :smiley:, are the holes already in place or do you have to drill your own for where you bolt the boot strut on?

The holes you use are already there, there are two spongy type pieces of sponge (lol) that you pull out from the side wings (under the bonnet) and you use those holes, and the two holes on the bonnet are the ones that have a bolt in already, it's the one that's second in, be sure to look at the picture and compare it to your bonnet :)

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2009, 13:10 »
Thanks Shady! You have inspired me to do this!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2009, 13:22 »
Thanks Shady! You have inspired me to do this!

No probs man, I can't really take credit for doing it though, I did it because VRDan did it, but thought I'd make the write up as Dan didn't get round to doing one. Does look sweet though :)

Offline hyland770

• I live here
  • Vw Golf 1.6 estimated to have around 500+ bhp
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2009, 15:36 »
done it and it is proper sweet, id love to see if anyone has made there bonnet open sideways!? do you think this can be done?

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #8 on: 07 April 2009, 15:39 »
done it and it is proper sweet, id love to see if anyone has made there bonnet open sideways!? do you think this can be done?

Why don't you try?  :grin: :grin: :grin: The bonnet is hinged to go towards the windscreen I'm sure and that's the other thing that supports the way it's lifted. I'm sure a sideways bonnet would require a lot of work glad you got it done. Got any pics?

Offline vdubman

• I live here
  • its not a polo-its a mini golf :-)
« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2009, 19:09 »
thanx for the photo's Shady-wicked.gonna go 2 the breakers 2morrow for a new rooflining,might aswell get this done 2 :smiley: :smiley: