Author Topic: HELP.....Oil pressure build up  (Read 384 times)

Offline mrgoose101

• Just got here
HELP.....Oil pressure build up
« on: 08 December 2007, 10:40 »
Hi there this is my first post so i will say hi to everyone.

I have just bought my first golf a 1988 Golf Gti 8v got it and drove it back fine seemed to run okay. Got it home and left it overnight then the next morning i went to start it and it seemed to have problems starting then when it did start all the oil pissed out from the oil filter.

So i thought i would give it a general service to see if i could get it starting properly changed the ht leads, spark plugs, dizzy cap, rota arm, ignition coil and oil filter and oil. Seemed to fix the problem had it running for an hour no problems. Then put it in the garage to do a few tidy up jobs on the bodywork. But when i went to start it about a month later it started first time but pissed out the oil again im guessing its building up pressure and blowing the oil out but i dont really know not being a mechanic.

My friend said it could be the head gasket but it had the top end of the engine rebuilt before i bought it decoke, valve stem oil seals, new Hydraulic buckets, fuel injector seals, head gasket so im not sure. The car has done 180k.

has anyone else had any similar problems or know the cause of this any advice would be greatly recieved  :smiley:

Offline bomp

• Here all the time
Re: HELP.....Oil pressure build up
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2007, 12:54 »
Try and tighten the oil filter a bit more, incase it hasn't been tightened fully.

The previous owner might have cross threaded the oil filter onto the oil filter bracket bolt, in which case it wouldn't tighten properlly.

Or it might be missing an o'ring between the oil filter and oil cooler.  Oil filters are cheap as chips so wouldn't hurt to get a new one to be sure.
Life is like a skid mark on a toilet bowl.  Sooner or later someone\\\'s going to pi$$ you off.