Author Topic: Astrophotography  (Read 4777 times)

Offline JMallows

• I live here
Re: Astrophotography
« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2013, 19:51 »
Show us the pics you have taken. Havent taken any for a few years, but these are what i took with my 12inch Newtonian (76 inch focal), found it very hard to get a good focus due to the movement (these were taken without the tracking motor in operation)

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

Offline Toby

• I live here
  • Car - less
« Reply #11 on: 27 March 2013, 20:02 »
Love that last one  :cool:

A real 304bhp 286lbft in a mk4 golf!

Currently down under

Gavv8

« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2013, 20:13 »
What would be a good lens to use for this in a canon ef-efs mount?, i feel like treating myself.

Offline JMallows

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 28 March 2013, 16:20 »
Love that last one  :cool:
Same, its amazing to see it for real in the eyepiece, much better than the camera! It doesnt look real!

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

Offline Adrena1in

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 28 March 2013, 22:22 »
Saturn was always my favourite through the eyepiece, but I never managed a decent photo really.  The time I had an 11" Celestron SCT, (f/10), which was fabulous, Saturn's rings were exactly side-on to us, so it didn't make for good viewing or photos.

Here are a few of my old shots.

First decent moon pic taken through a 1200mm f/9 cheap Refractor.

Can't remember which scope this was...might've been the Celestron C11.

My best attempt at M42, the Orion Nebula.  6 minutes of exposure through a 600mm f/6 cheap Refractor.

400mm cheap Refractor telescope, M31 Andromeda Galaxy.  Moon is just there to show how big M31 appears in the sky, which never ceases to amaze me!

The Red Planet.

My 2nd favourite Planet.

And finally just some star trails.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2013, 07:41 by Adrena1in »
2009 Golf GTD in Pearlescent Black.

Offline Adrena1in

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 28 March 2013, 22:31 »
What would be a good lens to use for this in a canon ef-efs mount?, i feel like treating myself.
Depends what you want to shoot really.  What's your biggest lens at the moment?  Because if you take the moon for example, you need about a 1400mm lens in order to magnify it enough for it to fill the frame.  My second moon photo above was taken through a 3000mm lens.  Unfortunately, objects which you can photo by hand, (i.e. a single, relatively short exposure), are miniscule.

Other things though, like Deep Sky Objects, (nebulae, galaxies, etc), can be relatively large, and can be photographed with a smaller lens.  But you need long exposures, and therefore you need your camera mounted on a device that will rotate slowly to counteract the spin of the earth, (and therefore keep the target object in the same place on the sensor).  These tracking mounts can be expensive.

Gavv8

« Reply #16 on: 29 March 2013, 23:04 »
Blimey..biggest i have is 300mm although i do have access to a telescope that could take a camera mount.

Offline Adrena1in

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 30 March 2013, 07:45 »
Blimey..biggest i have is 300mm although i do have access to a telescope that could take a camera mount.
Cool, give it a try.  My photo of the M31 Galaxy, with a same-size representation of the moon in the corner...that was taken with a 400mm telescope, (not a 600mm like I originally thought).  Original image would've been 12Mb, so something like 4272x2848 pixels.  At 400mm you can see how the moon doesn't take up much of the frame.  Chuck on a 2x or 3x teleconverter to your 300mm lens and you should be able to get some half decent shots.

Offline Toby

• I live here
  • Car - less
« Reply #19 on: 30 March 2013, 09:29 »
So all you really need is a big lense?!  I'm very intrested!

A real 304bhp 286lbft in a mk4 golf!

Currently down under