Author Topic: 8v Vs 16v  (Read 8242 times)

trustno1

Re: 8v Vs 16v
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2004, 15:54 »
this is gonna be another long thread, shhhh dont let '6 know!!  :D

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 16 August 2004, 16:25 »
it wont be, i have many new powers at my disposal ;)

to be honest, it'd be worth get his own 1900 8v rolling roaded to see what sort of power its kicking out then comparing against a std 16v

marcus123

« Reply #12 on: 16 August 2004, 18:11 »
For what it's worth, if the engine has been to TSR and had that ammount of work done (unless you have documentation to say otherwise ofcourse), I'd be very suprised if there's not been some mild head work and a cam of sorts.

If anyone was thinking about that level of tuning, and missed the opportunity whilst the engine was in bits needs shooting !!!

If that's the case - still with the 8V. It should have good performance with loads of life left ....

(Here's one for you K Jet boys, is there a soft limiter as with the digi GTI's ??? When's it kick in ??)

knobby - at what point in the revs can u feel the power tail off ??? If it's higher than about 5000 rpm then you might have more than u thought? ;D

8vs looking real good mate ;)

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2004, 18:26 »
Well i was sort of right, so don't listen to me :)

By Gambit:
or at least an 8v 5th gear so that the engine aint screaming its head off on motorway journey's!!

How would one do this? is it by changing the gear ratio in the box just on 5th?
My 89 16v  /  Essential golf links

Offline knobby

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 16 August 2004, 23:46 »
Hey Guys...

Thanks for all the comments.. see u boys are really getting into it..havent been able to get on the forum for a while seems its been offline.. i think im gonna stick with the 8v lump. fitted new plugs and HT leads today its runnin far smoother.. just need to sort out the tappets and im laughing (any good how tos about?)

Right please see links below to the documentation i have from TSR. seems its does have the standard cam but not sure what else has been done. Can u boyz shed some light on thi

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Dave

Old VW's never die...they just go faster!

Offline 16v Matt

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 17 August 2004, 09:21 »
Hi, i'm no expert but it seems a bit strange to have all that work done & not have a lairy cam put in ???

Offline 16v Matt

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 17 August 2004, 09:24 »
Ok this is what TSR's pack A head is. & I quote!!

The first stage in cylinder head improvements using the standard size 40mm inlet & 33mm exhaust valves fitted in GTI heads (38/31mm on 1.3L), these heads are ideal for fast road conversions. The heads have the valves, valve seats and inlet & exhaust ports reshaped and gas flowed for power and torque increases of up to 20%.

Suitable for use with unleaded fuel, heads are available in solid or hydraulic cam follower configuration for carburettor or injection engines 1.3 to 2.0L. 

Offline knobby

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 17 August 2004, 09:26 »
thats what i thought... Bummer hey.. aparently the guy before me who owned the car his bro worked or owned TSR.. so he said..l

So whats next then... New Cam?

Old VW's never die...they just go faster!

Offline davidhawkins_78

• I live here
  • Valver Bad Boy
« Reply #18 on: 17 August 2004, 09:30 »
Looks like it's been a rebuild with a few tweeks on a small budget ... nothing wrong with that at all though !

The head is pretty much standard, but obviously reconditioned - and the bottom end has have a new lease of life. Pretty good platform to carry on with I'd say, change the cam and some mild head work and you'll be away ... also it's a PB engine code so get her chipped ;)

I'd say the main reason for not putting the cam is purely the extra cost. If a cam was included you'd have to have a new ECU chip to raise the rev limiter and change the maps to make the best of it, then add a vernier pulley, getting the cam dialled in - it all mounts up! The bill probably would have been ?750 more easily.

Also the bill is dated 1997 - I'd hazzard a guess TSR's prices on MK2 engines have come down a bit over time!

'89 Monza Blue Valver
to quote a VW engineer, "the Mk1 was the prototype, the Mk2, the real thing!"

Offline 16v Matt

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 17 August 2004, 10:14 »
It all depends what you want out of it? From reading all your posts it looks like you are after the same sort of power as a 16v??

Firstly i'd get her on the rollers to see what the output really is, before you start chucking your hard earned at it.  You might be quite surprised.   At the end of the day if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Just my opinion,
Cheers,
Matt.