Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529668 times)

Offline PompeyFC1972

• Not said much yet
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #560 on: 16 May 2016, 21:06 »
Washed and waxed

Absolutely stunning!
MK7 GTi, 5 Door, Carbon Grey, Santiago's, Parking Pack, Car Net.

Offline PompeyFC1972

• Not said much yet
« Reply #561 on: 16 May 2016, 21:13 »
I collected this on Wednesday.  I asked the dealer not to prep it but sadly they had already done it when I asked.  There are a few swirls which I will sort but even so its come up pretty well:

Red really suits the GTi, enjoy!
MK7 GTi, 5 Door, Carbon Grey, Santiago's, Parking Pack, Car Net.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #562 on: 18 May 2016, 09:17 »
Red and Santiagos is a stunning combination.

(Obviously not quite as good as DBP and Santiagos ;))

Offline m19ads

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #563 on: 19 May 2016, 16:10 »
Red and Santiagos is a stunning combination.

(Obviously not quite as good as DBP and Santiagos ;))

Lol! I'm defiantly chuffed with the colour and wheel choice!
On Order Golf GTI 5 door Tornado Red Performance Pack 19inch Santiagos Build week 11/4 currently in transit..........

2014 VW Touran SE
2004 BMW 325CI Convertible
2005 Golf GTI 5 door Black (favourite car to date)
2006 VW Touran Sport
2002 Golf GT TDI 130
Loads of non VW stuff that I don't want to confess too!!!

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #564 on: 21 May 2016, 14:31 »
Had quite a bad week with the birds deciding to use my car as target practise with some particularly stubbon deposits to be removed. Used QD and an MF to remove, followed by another clean MF cloth to wipe down.

Then yesterday, in preparation for a holiday to North Wales next week,  I decided to give the car a full wash (the usual - snow foam, wheels, 2 bucket, dry). My 2 year old (next week) was running about so I let her hold the hose when I was doing the final rinse...

she thought it was highly amusing and was laughing her little head off! :laugh: :grin:

Afterwards we went to a shopping centre, and under the lights in the multi-storey, when walking away from the car, I noticed this on the rear passenger door (photo taken today)...

So looks like I rubbed a bit hard removing the bird poo and have scratched it a bit (difficult to see scratches in photo)  :sad:, and there's still a mark there as well! They are only very light scratches and don't catch with my nail, so fully expect it to polish out.

Am tempted to have a go at this by hand tonight when I get home. I am thinking of the following process...wash the panel again with shampoo (no snow foam stage as I won't have time to do the whole car) and dry before using a bit of SSR2.5 (only polish I have to hand) and apply with light pressure using wo-wo applicators. Then rinse off and wash panel again. Then rinse and dry followed by a top up of c2v3. The whole car probably wants doing again with c2v3 (last done in march I think) really but I won't have time for this.

After that if there's time, I might do a quick snow foam of the whole car followed by rinse and dry. The interior needs a bit of a clean, so this will take priority over the snow foam.  :cool:
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #565 on: 21 May 2016, 16:43 »
Lovely to see kids getting involved.  Never too early to teach them the ways of the detailing.  :smiley:

There's a lot of it about at the moment (bird poo).  It's such a pain.  That etching and those scratches on yours should polish out, and definitely worth giving it a go by hand.

I had some scratches on mine left by some careless person in my works car park, but they came out by hand.  I used SSR2 and worked well, then refined down with a bit of SSR1. All gone, then sales and relaxed the area.  Didn't take any specific close up 'after' pics yet but you can get the gist.

The scratches

All gone after a hand polish

Good luck. Etching and scratches aside, your car looks fantastic. :cool:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #566 on: 21 May 2016, 18:15 »
Lovely to see kids getting involved.  Never too early to teach them the ways of the detailing.  :smiley:

There's a lot of it about at the moment (bird poo).  It's such a pain.  That etching and those scratches on yours should polish out, and definitely worth giving it a go by hand.

I had some scratches on mine left by some careless person in my works car park, but they came out by hand.  I used SSR2 and worked well, then refined down with a bit of SSR1. All gone, then sales and relaxed the area.  Didn't take any specific close up 'after' pics yet but you can get the gist.

Thanks Rebecca. Was going to have a go anyway but good to have confirmation I'm not doing anything daft!  :laugh:

P.S. 'sales and relaxed' - assuming that's some auto correct gone wrong of washed and waxed. Or maybe it's a new detailing technique we've not heard of yet!  :laugh: :wink:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #567 on: 21 May 2016, 19:02 »
P.S. 'sales and relaxed' - assuming that's some auto correct gone wrong of washed and waxed. Or maybe it's a new detailing technique we've not heard of yet!  :laugh: :wink:

:grin:

Bloody autocorrect! Should have read 'sealed and waxed'.  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #568 on: 21 May 2016, 19:13 »
Had my first go at using the new DA today; didn't have much time so only hit it with a cutting compound. Will be booking a full day soon  :smiley:

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #569 on: 21 May 2016, 19:34 »

Thanks Rebecca. Was going to have a go anyway but good to have confirmation I'm not doing anything daft!  :laugh:

Oh well... weather has put paid to that idea... will have to wait until I'm back off my hols now. TBH it's barely noticeable, especially when the car is wet with rain. Getting late too.

I did however sit in the car for 10 mins and give the dash a clean with PBNL, which was the interior cleaning I wanted to do, as it was a bit dusty :cool: