Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529535 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #520 on: 23 April 2016, 23:09 »

[img width=736

Superb job Dave. Looks absolutely amazing  :cool: :cool: :cool:

Don't take this the wrong way, but in that second alloy close up, look to have a few scratches on the black areas.  Didn't have any grit trapped in your wheel woolie did you?  Should polish out ok though.

Interior looks lovely too.

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #521 on: 23 April 2016, 23:12 »
Picked my new car up at lunch time (Unwashed and with stickers still attached - the salesman had never had it requested before and was slightly bemused).  My son and I peeled off the easy to remove covers / stickers.  Then I washed / decontaminated it following the excellent guidance on here - many thanks Booth11.  Sorry, no pics yet as (a) I haven't figured out how to (b) I was still going at 8:30 pm and it was a bit dark!

Hi Xrayrapid, welcome to the forum and congrats on picking up your new car.  :smiley:

You made the best first decision by not letting the dealer prep it and sounds like you've given it a very thorough and great start.  Really look forward to seeing the pics. 

For pic posting there are several methods.  You need to sign up to a photo hosting website such as Flickr or Photobucket, and copy and paste the image codes into your post.  For Flickr it's the BBCode, for PB it's the IMG code.  Alternatively you could use this site http://postimage.org.  On the site, select your chosen images (can do mutiple ones), tick family safe, leave the resize box clear, click upload and it will give you the links you can copy into your posts.  I find the Hotlink for Forums1 link works well.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #522 on: 23 April 2016, 23:43 »

[img width=736

Superb job Dave. Looks absolutely amazing  :cool: :cool: :cool:

Don't take this the wrong way, but in that second alloy close up, look to have a few scratches on the black areas.  Didn't have any grit trapped in your wheel woolie did you?  Should polish out ok though.

Interior looks lovely too.

Probably scratches from before that I didn't get out (too tired) when I polished them by hand the other month. After having that big scratch that I got rid of, I inspect the mit/woolie after every time it gets rinsed in the bucket now. I knew there was a few left when I polished them, but my arm couldn't take any more and I was concentrating on the shiny parts where they were more obvious.

Was hoping they would do quite a long time without more serious work as the c5 is supposed to last a long time. However I will need to invest in a da and do a full clean up on the paintwork and wheels before the winter. Cant face polishing by hand again, as my arm hasn't fully recovered from that session as it flairs up a bit when I clean the car or lift boxes at work etc

Got quite a few of very tiny black tar spots on the lower doors, some of which I shifted today but guessing the other ones will need tar remover so that will strip off the c2 so would need to apply more. Will wait another month or so before doing that and try and sort the stone chips at the same time.

Da and therefore all the other work is going to have to wait as I've had a few heavy months of spending the past few months with one thing or another :shocked:
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #523 on: 24 April 2016, 00:26 »
Probably scratches from before that I didn't get out (too tired) when I polished them by hand the other month. After having that big scratch that I got rid of, I inspect the mit/woolie after every time it gets rinsed in the bucket now. I knew there was a few left when I polished them, but my arm couldn't take any more and I was concentrating on the shiny parts where they were more obvious.

Was hoping they would do quite a long time without more serious work as the c5 is supposed to last a long time. However I will need to invest in a da and do a full clean up on the paintwork and wheels before the winter. Cant face polishing by hand again, as my arm hasn't fully recovered from that session as it flairs up a bit when I clean the car or lift boxes at work etc

Got quite a few of very tiny black tar spots on the lower doors, some of which I shifted today but guessing the other ones will need tar remover so that will strip off the c2 so would need to apply more. Will wait another month or so before doing that and try and sort the stone chips at the same time.

Da and therefore all the other work is going to have to wait as I've had a few heavy months of spending the past few months with one thing or another :shocked:

Leave it till Autumn pre winter detail.  :smiley:   Not a cheap business this detailing malarkey. The wheel scratches won't even be visible in the flesh.   Hand polishing is a job and a half, so don't blame you for not wanting to go there again.  I did a few hand polishes on my old car but hard going so it wasn't long before I got a DA.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #524 on: 24 April 2016, 16:52 »
Realised I'm an idiot today.

Car had a maintenance wash yesterday and a wax top up with Collinite 845. Been out today for Sunday lunch with my Dad, just got home and went out with some QD and microfiber to see to some bird droppings on the roof. Walked up to the car and thought my front bumper looked a little odd.

Turns out I'd somehow managed to miss removing the wax from that panel alone! How on earth I managed it I've no idea!!!

Luckily day old wax residue is no match for WoWo microfibers and Meguiar's Last Touch! Car now looking how it should do lol!

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #525 on: 24 April 2016, 18:09 »

Car had a maintenance wash yesterday and a wax top up with Collinite 845. Been out today for Sunday lunch with my Dad, just got home and went out with some QD and microfiber to see to some bird droppings on the roof. Walked up to the car and thought my front bumper looked a little odd.

Turns out I'd somehow managed to miss removing the wax from that panel alone! How on earth I managed it I've no idea!!!

Luckily day old wax residue is no match for WoWo microfibers and Meguiar's Last Touch! Car now looking how it should do lol!

Lol.

You are not alone in your idiocy Dan.  A few weeks ago I forgot to remove the metal polish from my tailpipes.  Next day, was walking back to the car after dropping daughter off a school and wondered what the hell had happened to my exhaust tips then realised my error and then remembered it had started raining as I was finishing my car off so took cover indoors, only to completely forget about them. Fortunately always have 2-3 WoWo MF's in the boot, so buffed off the polish in situ no problem, tailpipes extra blingy too.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: 24 April 2016, 18:12 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #526 on: 24 April 2016, 20:34 »

Yep done that! Mine was interior glass polish!!!!

Offline PompeyFC1972

• Not said much yet
« Reply #527 on: 30 April 2016, 21:28 »
I wanted to try AF Illusion on my CSG today, so a quick wash last night and tucked away in the garage ready for today.  Polished with AF Rejuvenate then applied the Illusion and was really happy with the results. Wheels were polished with AF Tripple and topped with C2v3, tyres finished with T2, gives a nice natural matt finish.

Really happy with the results, will be interested to see how long the Illusion lasts as it is a show wax.
MK7 GTi, 5 Door, Carbon Grey, Santiago's, Parking Pack, Car Net.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #528 on: 30 April 2016, 23:31 »
I wanted to try AF Illusion on my CSG today, so a quick wash last night and tucked away in the garage ready for today.  Polished with AF Rejuvenate then applied the Illusion and was really happy with the results. Wheels were polished with AF Tripple and topped with C2v3, tyres finished with T2, gives a nice natural matt finish.

Really happy with the results, will be interested to see how long the Illusion lasts as it is a show wax.

Your car looks stunning Pompey. My mk6 GTD was Carbon Grey - the best colour!  :cool:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #529 on: 01 May 2016, 17:04 »

Stunning job Pompey.  Looks amazing.   :cool:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual