Author Topic: Mk6 Edition 35 or Golf R?  (Read 2427 times)

Offline snowballs

• Just got here
Mk6 Edition 35 or Golf R?
« on: 13 July 2016, 20:54 »
Hi guys I've just joined up to ask your opinions on the above. I'm in a position to change my Mk5 GTI next month but am torn between an Edition 35, an R or perhaps even a fairly news GTI. My current car has been remapped, exhaust done and sports filter and is very fast, I know the 35 has a de tuned R engine and just wanted to know what you all think or advise? my budget is around £20000 thats pounds as I'm from N Ireland.
Any help or advise would be great.
Thanks

Shane

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
Re: Mk6 Edition 35 or Golf R?
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2016, 10:10 »
If you can afford it I'd be tempted by the R but my mk6 gti is brilliant fun since being remapped, I don't know what the weak areas are on ed35 gti as they had the mk5 engine, I'm led to believe they are can take more abuse before stuff gives up, at least with an r on a wet roundabout you'll not be doing 40mph before you start moving. From what I've heard i get the impression that the gti is more engaging to drive  but that's just how I've interpreted opinions.
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis

Offline snowballs

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2016, 15:16 »
Thanks Ant just a bit concerned about getting the power down on the Road with the Ed35 after exhaust, filter and remap, it will be estimated 360+ bhp, although I prefer its styling to the R. My Mk5 is 300 bhp and likes to chew tyres!

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2016, 19:43 »
My mk6 is putting out 270, but the tyres struggle to put it down. I know of a mk2 focus rs report  (st) with 480bhp, that eats front tyres.

When my clutch gets tired I'm planning to fit a quaife diff which should help.
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis

Offline snowballs

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2016, 19:49 »
Try the new Michelin Pilots just out this year! think they are pilot sport 4. Very good a hell of an improvement for traction over the dunlops I was previously using! Going to look at an Edition 35 in half an hour....
If I were you I'd save my money on a diff and fit a decat downpipe and forge intercooler, that will put you up to the 300 mark and eliminate heat soak.

Offline ANNI1701

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 15 July 2016, 09:54 »
I have both a MK6 GTI and a MK7 R and have to say that the R is by far the more enjoyable and exciting car to drive!!

Offline snowballs

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2016, 19:11 »
thanks Ann1701 its just a travel a lot of back roads and I think the lighter edt 35 will suit my purpose better. Took a test drive in an edt 35 last night that has been mapped to 300 bhp and no other mods. I was very impressed. It certainly puts the power down better than my Mk5 all be it they are similar HP. Because the larger turbo takes longer to bring in the boost, it doesnt suffer the same problems I have with all that instant boost and torque causing tyre slip and it held the boost loner pulling right through to the limiter. Seriously considering it now!